• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAX 3 over 300 bus issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

OK I have yet to receive my stuff...looks like today it will be in. Just trying to get a grasp of what I'm in for. I read somewhere that when crossing 299 FSB the AGP/PCI freaks out and no longer will hold in the "locked" position. Anyhow apparently ATI cards can't handle this therefore I'm screwed at this point. I guess the Nvidia cards can take the AGP increase in speeds alot better that ATI, but I'm not willing to unload mine since I have modded the sinks and have an H2O block for it. Anyone heard of this? BIOS fix?

BTW I have a Radeon 9700 Pro

Last edited:
I went and dug up the quote, here it is as well as the review:

"Not being patient, the FSB was then raised to 300MHz FSB. Booting into windows gave us issues and we tried increasing the CPU voltage but nothing seemed to help. Then finally we got a break as to what the problem was. One of the Windows errors said that a device had failed causing the system to shut down. It was the 9700 Pro. The IC7-G we first tested also had a problem at high bus speeds and the ATi cards leading us to believe that the MAX3, like the IC7-G, has a faulty AGP/PCI lock over 300MHz FSB. Video cards were changed out with an NVIDIA card because they generally can tolerate high AGP speeds and the system ran without a problem. The highest FSB we were able to hit was 306 and it was our CPU that was topped out. The MAX3 wanted to go further but without some form of superior cooling, we had to stop"

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/ABIT_IC7_MAX3_1.html

Back