• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channeling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flock-Raven

Registered
I am gonna get the NF7 2.0 board, and I was thinking about dual channeling the ram now here are the questions I have.

1. If i have 1-512 stick and 1-256 stick but the both have the same bus, will it work fine?

2. What is the performance boost?

3. are 256x2 better than 512x2 ?? I hope not!:(

4. Is it better or worse for OCing?

5. What would you do in this situation :D ?

no i don't think you can dual channel two different sized rams. you can prolly overclock the clock speed of the RAM more in single channel, but the advantages of dual channel would outweigh the faster speed of the RAM. If i were you i would save up and get another 512 stick. or if you are really tight on cash get another 256 stick.

dual channel on amd rigs will give you a minimal performance increase, unlike you will find with intel. what i would do is just wait and get another stick of 512... it's best to use a matching set when using it also, although i ran 2 256mb sticks of crucial 2100 purchased months apart at 210mhz. i don't think 256 sticks are better or vice-versa... also, you cannot mix 256 and 512 and run in dual channel.

tom10167 said:
UH..... look! Put 1 mem in slot 1, and another in slot 3. When booting, on the same screen that it shows IDE boot up, it'll say "Dual channel enabled" Otherwise, it didn't work.
that depend on what bios you are using. The eariler bios's didnt say anything.

Back