• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-Max3 Plz help OC read guides

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ram

Hi all,

Well after being nicely pointed to some excellent guides I've tried my first hand at OC :p

The only thing is I dont seem to be having much success. The highest I can clock my board is 215Mhz - i.e. before Prime95 fails.

Am I missing something my setup is:

Strap CPU as : by cpu
Dram ratio : 1:1
AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:pCI) : Fixed
Fixed AGP/PCI frequency : 66/33Mhz

CPU core voltage : 1.55
DDR SDRAM Voltage : 2.65
AGP Voltage : 1.55

GAT : auto, auto, auto, disabled, disabled

Mem timings : 2.5, 3, 3, 8

Thermistor on CPU Heatsink during tests 34C

With these settings I get the following benchmarks:

pcmark 2002
---------------------
CPU 5484, Mem 9185, HDD1325

Sandra 2004
-----------
3777/6655

Would appreciate any help, many thanks. I've held off OC the radeon for a couple of weeks :) as the guide said but added some HS to the BGA's :D couldnt get the shim off though :( so stuck the original ATI fan back on instead of my new Iceberq4 :(, I think the ATI had a better contact so... but my shim seems to be permanently stuck on ughh and dont want to break my board yet hehe

and bump your vdimm to 3.1

your RAM will handle it and eat up the juice

Thanks guys :D I'm now running stable (1.5hrs of Prime95 and still going) at 225MHz :D

Changed the bootstrap to 800, and Solo you were right about the voltage that made a big difference I was able to goto 220 with 2.7, 225 failed with 2.8 so upped it to 2.9 and fingers crossed seems stable cheers for the help :) :cool: Going to leave it now, 3.1GHz Im happy with plus Im running on air.

Do I need to modify the memory timings now as 2.5, 3, 3, 8 seemed a bit odd ?

Changed to 2,3,3,7 - failed after an hour don't want to ramp up my ddr voltage anymore so brought it back down to 2.5,3,3,8.

btw doesnt the pcmark 2002 seem low or am I using an updated version so I shouldnt compare values I saw on the web - which is why I used Sandra as well..

Last edited:
seriously, hyperx loves voltage :)
you can really push it, when i volt mod my ic7-g i plan running 3.3 volts on my adata that has no extra cooling :eek:p

i might add soem heatsinks on that hehe

you can also loosen your timings to see hwo far your machine will go you know?

Thx guys - okay this was my first endeavour into OC and as Solo said I would have to really empthasize this for any other noobs reading this :

For a successful OC you really need a lot of juice for your RAM and good quality stuff too.

btw I tried loosening the memory timings but I started getting a lot of hardware failures - ati upon startup, power offs during graphic games. Looks like the memory timings were having some issues with my Powercolor radeon 9800 Pro - so reverted to the SPD values. Note : Prime 95 was stable for days - just in graphic games when I mucked around with the timings computer just crashed - so left as is 3V at 225MHz.

btw Im using 3.7 catalyst drivers and no OC on GPU and a fairly cool system.

Back