• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxing out (sadly) @265 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Z_oc

Got a new P4 2.4C with M0 stepping - the SL6Z3 (Costa Rica). I was very happy to get this proc, as it is Intel's newest 2.4C and is supposed to OC nicely.

Plugged it into my P4P800, and temps are slightly lower than my previous 2 SL6WF procs. But hitting the same OC wall - anything around 265 MHz (3.2 GHz) and I've got problems.

The SL6Z3 booted to Win XP at 3.2 GHz at default voltages but then I got an error saying that nwiz.exe couldn't load and then the system gave me a shutdown message. Fine.

I upped the volts to 1.575, but this time the system halted in Win XP again. I also had probs is adjusting the FSB to lower speeds in the BIOS, as the system was freezing (this happened twice). However managed to get the FSB down and started again at 260 MHz.

So I'm at 260 MHz FSB and running 2 instances of Prime95 (volts 1.550) - stable till now. Already finished nearly 24 hours of Prime95 testing yesterday at 3.0 GHz (250 MHz FSB) and default voltage.

RAM settings are at 5:4, and 3:2 don't seem to help either. Bios for my P4P800 is 1008. Using 2 x 256 MB Kingston DDR400.

Can this be a Northbridge problem? With Prime95 the Northbridge heatsink is hot, but not "very" hot (not enugh to burn my finger).

Changed 3 sets of CPUs, from different batches, the result is same - no luck at 265 or 266 MHz. However system is absolutely stable at 260 MHz FSB.

I'm stumped for answers. Need your help guys...

p.s. also noticed that with default CPU voltage in the BIOS and running at 3.0 GHz, Asus probe shows CPU voltage at 1.58 - 1.60 V.

Last edited:
Z_oc said:
Got a new P4 2.4C with M0 stepping - the SL6Z3 (Costa Rica). I was very happy to get this proc, as it is Intel's newest 2.4C and is supposed to OC nicely.

Plugged it into my P4P800, and temps are slightly lower than my previous 2 SL6WF procs. But hitting the same OC wall - anything around 265 MHz (3.2 GHz) and I've got problems.

The SL6Z3 booted to Win XP at 3.2 GHz at default voltages but then I got an error saying that nwiz.exe couldn't load and then the system gave me a shutdown message. Fine.

I upped the volts to 1.575, but this time the system halted in Win XP again. I also had probs is adjusting the FSB to lower speeds in the BIOS, as the system was freezing (this happened twice). However managed to get the FSB down and started again at 260 MHz.

So I'm at 260 MHz FSB and running 2 instances of Prime95 (volts 1.550) - stable till now. Already finished nearly 24 hours of Prime95 testing yesterday at 3.0 GHz (250 MHz FSB) and default voltage.

RAM settings are at 5:4, and 3:2 don't seem to help either. Bios for my P4P800 is 1008. Using 2 x 256 MB Kingston DDR400.

Can this be a Northbridge problem? With Prime95 the Northbridge heatsink is hot, but not "very" hot (not enugh to burn my finger).

Changed 3 sets of CPUs, from different batches, the result is same - no luck at 265 or 266 MHz. However system is absolutely stable at 260 MHz FSB.

p.s. also noticed that with default CPU voltage in the BIOS and running at 3.0 GHz, Asus probe shows CPU voltage at 1.58 - 1.60 V.

I have the exact same problem. I am stuck at 262fsb, any over it gets screwy. Ive tried lax my mem timings, upping the voltage, and using a 3:2 divider. Nothing seems to help. I think its my chip, because not many other people have this problem.

oh well :(

Z_oc said:

I have the exact same problem. I am stuck at 262fsb, anything over it gets screwy. Ive tried lax my mem timings, upping the voltage, and using a 3:2 divider. Nothing seems to help. I think its my chip, because not many other people have this problem. Im using stock hsf, but my temps are fine.

oh well :(

Hi, I think 265MHz is not bad. I heard some "golden" chips that can run @280MHz w/default Vcore but I haven' t see really. My 2.4C is working @250MHz and I'm happy with it. I tried 260MHz and didn' t start up.

The common parts of our system is kingston sticks. Maybe PC3500 can solve our problem but I prefer to buy a 3.0GHz instead. (I mean 2.4c+PC3500 ~= 3.0+PC3200)

NWIZ.exe

I just wanted to ask a question... Is NWIZ.exe a program application for your video card? I have NWIZ.exe for one of my start-up applications and I think its for my Nividia graphics card. I kind of run into the same problem when I try getting my CPU over 283 Mhz. It will run a couple of time at 3.4Ghz and then start locking up on me while I boot. So Since I don't see a immediate difference between 3.2ghz and 3.4ghz. I just leave it at that. What kind of video card do you have?

Think I found the problematic component. It's the Kingston DDR 400 with Winbond CH-5 chips, Period.

Tried out with DDR400 bar with Hyundai chips, and it works nicely at 5:4 and 3:2 multipliers even at 275 FSB. Went up as high as 3.3 GHz at 1.6 vcore, and it boots into Win XP without a hitch. However not stable with dual instances of Prime95. Now running 3.2 GHz at default voltage, no probs. Previously getting a POST at 3.2 GHz was out of the question.

Seriously if you are using RAM with CH-5 chips and you can't break the 260+ FSB barrier, the likely culprit is your RAM. True the motherboard north bridge and the CPU itself might be suspect, but I think the CH-5 chips have problems detecting FSB:Memory dividers after 260 Mhz or higher FSB speeds. Many others have also voiced the same concerns in other forums, mostly with Abit boards - IC7 and IS7. Probs also with Asus P4C800 and P4P800 users with CH-5.

You might also note that many CH-5 users have managed high 1:1 speeds; but as u keep pushing the FSB, and if the dividers don't work, you can't expect a POST at DDR 520 speeds (260 FSB). Memories with Winbond BH-5 chips are a much better choice, but modules are costlier and supply is tight. In that case cheaper modules like TwinMos modules with 5ns Twinmos chips can be an alternative - I have ordered some and will check them out. Need to say bye bye to my modules with CH-5 chips soon.

3.2 GHz is a "good" OC, and those who are getting 3.3-3.5 Ghz are really lucky; as I mentioned before, you have to get lucky with all three components motherboard, memory, and CPU.

BTW, I use a GF4Ti4200.

Last edited:
can someone tell me why these memory manufactors are using CH-5?

First thing i did when i got my ram was to try and remove the heat spreader and i thought it was glued on. Im running some corsair 3200 silver and the sink seems to be glued on i have no idea what my chips are.

int said:
can someone tell me why these memory manufactors are using CH-5?

These chips work fine at DDR400 with 1:1; and that's what DDR400 specs say. Even at 250 FSB and 5:4, they're Ok. When u only go over 260, they start behaving strangely. How many ppl are gunning for 260 MHz plus?

p.s. at least we are!

but when they advertise the memory as "enthusiast" or "overclocking" type, and it can't even run alongside high system busses, even if the memory isn't being overclocked, is sad if you ask me.

int, I fully agree with you.

I changed 3 procs on the way to discovering this. Also was considering changing my motherboard.

Were concerns regarding this CH-5 problem voiced in this forum before? Cos I found the issue raised in other forums, but not here. Maybe I missed out...

maybe we should start a thread... lots of questions would be answered. and it sucks because you can't search "CH-5" using the search feature because it's not a long enough string.

int said:
maybe we should start a thread... lots of questions would be answered. and it sucks because you can't search "CH-5" using the search feature because it's not a long enough string.

ya why do they do that? you cant even search "IC7" and thats very common. There are alot of 3 letter words that are common with PCs

Ive even seen some threads that have the title of say "IC7 Problems" or somthing to that affect. I think if you cant search a 3 letter word then you shouldnt be able to use it in the thread title.

try and search IC7 Max3

i too am stuck @ 262fsb... anything higher hard locks the system... no matter how much voltage i throw at it... had the cpu up to 1.75, agp to 2.0, mem to 3.2.... notta :(

I'm 99% sure it's that POS hyper-x. I've benn saying it for weeks...the stuff is crap. Could not pass 260 fsb regardless of timings or dividers using some pc3500 hyper-crap. Went to mushkin and hit 300fsb the next day.

i have 512 (2x256mb) of mushkin pc3500... doesnt help, it's not the ram holding me back

sorry for the confusion... the rig in my sig is long gone... i cant change my sig due to the email thing... (hotmail being banned)

i have a p4 2.6 @ 3.4 (13X262) 512mb DC mushkin pc3500.. slk947 + Tt SfII on an epox 4pca3+

Back