• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD MoBo Chip Combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj4ta

I know you guys get asked this question about a thousand times a day, so please forgive me for doing the same.

I have $300 to spend on the best MoBo and CPU I can get. I wish it be full upgradable down the road as monies become available - (ie CPU, faster RAM, HD)
I already have a 512 stick of PC2100 RAM, a 7200 30G WD HDD ATA100, an Nvidia 4200T1 64meg ( I know, I know the vid card needs to be upgraded soon) and Creative Audigy 2.

Can anyone recommend what my best bet is considering my current hardware pieces and that I would like to keep it upgradable.

TIA,
Ken

Since you didnt get answered, thought I'd reply quick: Based on the many threads throughout the AMD forum, it would appear the consensus is pretty much leaning towards the Abit NF7-S mobo as the best right now. You can ebay the Audigy since the NF7-S has soundstorm. Then go with Athlon XP 2500+ processor... when overclocking, best bang for buck at present (though some quicker memory would be advisable). This'll only bring you up to $200-ish. If you sold the audigy and the video card, you'd probably have enough for a better video card (if you want to do some gaming)... like a Radeon 9600 Pro perhaps.

So, that's my 2 cents worth. :)

I agree on the NF7 series or the Epox 8RDA/8RGA series. As far as chips go, may as well spend $100 on that and get into the Bartons.

Any thoughts on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe? Or are the ones you mentioned above better?
I really don't want to get rid of my Audigy. Is the Soundstorm better?

Back