• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has any one used PC4200 for a AMD??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremecorvette

Disabled
Has anyone used PC4200 for a AMD system. I can get the Premier Series Black CL 3-4-4-8 for the same price of the Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500. What memory do you think is best for OC on a NF7-S 2.0 mobo?

i think u should go with the pc4200 even tho its got loose timings u can tighten them then u know its not the ram holding u back it will be the NB :)

Do NOT get PC4200 on a Athlon-based system! There's no way, unless you run a multiplier of 8 or something, that you will get the FSB required to equalize performance between low-timings and high-FSB. You much, much better off getting something with BH-5 chips (esp. the Mushkin PC3500 BL2) if you staying with AMD. Run 2.7-2.75V (to keep the warrenty) and your BH-5 memory should get you between 220-240MHz (DDR440-480). That is the sweet-high spot for AMD processors.

Tried it, failed misserably. Had A-Data DDR4000 that had been tested @ 283Mhz in a Asus P4C800. Guess what, put in my NF-7 and not one MHz higher FSB. The NB is the limiting factor for NForce2 boards. Stick with 3500 at the highest, unless you have one of those rare boards that hits 250 no problem, then you might think about it.

Stick with some BH-5 sticks. Otherwise you are giving up those crucial tight timings on an AMD system. For Intel its a different story but AMD needs those timings tight.

Back