• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the Best OCin Memory? PC3500-4200.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subaru

Disabled
Looking for names and price.

I'm planning to build a computer to use for te next 3 years. SO far I got:

Prommy Mach 2 with whole lian li kit black
Abit IC7-G
Intel 3.0ghz
9800 Pro

Now, I need is a good memory to take me to atleast 3.9-4.1ghz.

ANy suggestions?

I'd say OCZ Platinum Series 3500 is great stuff if you have a Nforce2 board... otherwise, chips based off of Winbond BH-5 chips are excellent, Kingston is very good, Geil, Mushkin, etc... all good companies, however, some do come at a premium price.

Since your buying a Prommy, I assume you will have no trouble performing a VDIMM mod on your IC7. Therefore BH-5 memory will be your best bet. With an i875 board and prommy you prolly will be running high (260-280) 1:1 FSB:Memory, and if you give BH-5 memory enough Volts (3.2-3.4V) you should be able to achieve it, though I'm not sure of the capabilties of such under extreme cooling.

I doubt bh5 can handle 266+ FSB at tightest timings. If it does you will need absolutely insane voltage or else incredible sticks of it. I'd look for some ram that will do 275ish 2.5-3-3-6 or so with as little voltage as possible. I'm not saying 2-2-2-5 275mhz is impossible. But it sure as hell is unlikely.

If your buying a $1000 cooler (mach II) then you would just about fit the same catagory who puts 3.3-3.4V into your memory. Therefore, with such voltages, people are able to run their BH-5 memory past 250MHz (DDR500) with 2-2-2 timings. Of course I wouldn't be saying this for someone who didn't buy a $2000+ rig entirely for overclocking purposes, but someone who has a mach II :)

Back