• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's all this Winbond BH-5 and CH-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BH5 and CH5 are types of RAM chips that are manufactured by Winbond. Many memory manufacturers use Winbond chips these days. BH5, as far as I know, isnt being produced anymore, but is still available in certain modules (Kingston HyperX 3000, 3200 non-a, Mushkin Black, and Buffalo 3700). CH5 is whats currently going into most modules these days. As for the difference between the 2, BH5 tends to be the better overclocker. BH5 is able to do tighter timings (usually 2-2-2) than CH5 chips (2-3-2 i think). Also, BH5 tends to do this with less voltage. As for which RAM to go with, the Buffalo 3700 at Newegg should prove a good match with your system. Hope this helps you :)

edit for spelling :D

Well I'm getting a 1GB set of HyperX this weekend and since I have no way of checking in advance I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for BH5 chips then!

I just got a gig of hyperX pc3500. Pretty sure its ch5 but I will have to take the heatspreader off to make sure. What ones are you getting Lancelot

Well I'm getting a 1GB set of HyperX this weekend and since I have no way of checking in advance I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for BH5 chips then!

If you want a good chance of getting BH5 HyperX, either get the PC3000 or the PC3200 non-A. These are the only kinds of HyperX that are still using BH5

I just got a gig of hyperX pc3500. Pretty sure its ch5 but I will have to take the heatspreader off to make sure. What ones are you getting Lancelot

yep, youre HyperX uses CH5. Only the above listed types still use BH5

If you want guaranteed BH5 chips, the sticks you'll want are Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3200/PC3500. You'll pay a premium for 'em but from the chip and cooling you've got, it shouldn't be a problem ;)

~THT

to baller

i would not recomend pulling the heat spreaders on the hyperx either, because it voids your warranty and kingston rebrands the chips with there own labels so one ever knows what they get.( i took mine off)

I got lucky! Just installed the new sticks and the label on them states "KHX3200/512". No 'A' included so it must be BH5!!! I'll see if these baby's enable me to get my FSB a little higher at 5:4 or possibly let me goto 1:1 with loose timings and my current 250FB, but I guess that'll be a long shot...

Big_Baller said:

i beleive they used to throw bh5 chips on these sticks a while back, but the new ones are ch5. to me, i really don't care, nor do i think i will notice 2-3-2 from 2-2-2,... just like i can't hear a dif between shn sourced music and mp3's.

You're right about that, CL2 ONLY makes a difference in the FIRST boost of data stream when opening programs or starting calculations etc. I got the good 2.0-2-2-6 sticks but only gained like 200 points in Sandra Memory benchmark. However when I open up certain programs (like IE6 just now) it pops up noticeably faster, the system feels a tad 'snappier' now. And ofcourse these new blue-heatspreader sticks look awesome behind my case window, lolz!

Many OCers complain that the CH-5 chips have problems with 5:4 and 3:2 dividers on motherboard, making it difficult to reach high FSB speeds. It's like at 250 or 260 MHz FSB, the dividers are not recognized; ppl have to reduce FSB, and the RAM limits the OC.

I've come across this complaint from quite a few Abit users (IC7 & and IS7) and also some people with Asus .

Is this a fact?

Back