• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

major help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
i will recive my nf7-s board tomorrow and i want to know what do i have to set my fsb and dimm divider or if i have to leave it on auto what does it do at all what functions does it have?

or if you have a link pls couold u post it so i could read about it.

When you get your board make sure you enable interface, period. Then you want to set your ram ratio to 6:6, period. That's it, don't change them

How far you get your FSB depends totally on Ram/CPU/Mobo/Cooling. The best way to find out what your max FSB is, is to set your multiplier timings low, as in 9 or 8[some NF7-S Bios's don't like the 9 multiplier, thats why I say 8 may be a better choice]. You should be able to get your FSB to at least 166 unless you have a Barton, which is default 166. If so, then start working your way up by 5s until you boot into windows and programs start to crash or 3dmark2k1 CTDs or windows doesn't even start up. Now you know your FSB is too high and you have to back it up a few notches until you get the sweet spot. Remember: if things lock up like when booting into Windows ,or in Prime95 or a game that usually means your vcore is too low. If things restart, like your computer reboots at the Windows load screen or your game or 3DMark2k1 CTDs that usually means your FSB is a few notche too high.

Note that once you're over 2ghz [maybe a little more], you'r going to have to increase the VCore's voltages. Also, first thing you should do is set your Chipset's voltage to 1.7V, that's mandatory. Also, if your RAM is a good brand name and comes with a copper heatspreader you should be able to set your DDR SDram Voltages to 2.8[maybe more].

Remember: you want high FSBs and low Multipliers, but try and keep your multiplier at 10 or above. I've heard you lose a lot of board or ram bandwidth if you go below 10[Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this].

So we know you have the mobo, and if you've got good ram, nice steppings on your cpu and good cooling you should be able to get close to 2.5ghz with air cooling. So a good overclock would look something like this: 210fsbx11.5 = 2.41ghz. I'm too tired to touch on ram timings at this point, but I hope this helps a little.

-Overcrocked

yes it helps thanks acually i have rwin-x 2-256mb corsair 3200 LL mem and 1700 319 B core with my asus a7n8x i am at 199x12 doesnt go higher i think due to the voltage limitation.
But i would expect to get up to at least 210x12 on the nf7-s

thanks for your help ! but later if you could say a few things on ram timings i would appriciate it.

thanks

That'd be a nice goal, though you're definatly gonna need Northbridge cooling to get that high. Most likely will be close to your limit unless you have crazy cooling. That's why I'm looking for a good HSF for my NB so I can get my FSB a bit higher and nudge my CPU over 2.5ghz. It locks up at about 2.48 no matter what at this point in time. I'd say with 2-2-2-5 at 210fsb or close to that sounds quite feasible with enough voltage running through your ram.

There's really not that much to say about ram timings. You have corsair 3200xms that's supposed to run at like 2-3-3-7 at 200fsb. If you knock up the DDR SDRAM voltage high you should be able to get more FSB out of your ram. You can loosen your ram timings to like 2.5-4-4-10 or whatever and get more FSB out of it, but I would say it's better to have tighter ram timings than a few more points to your FSB.

It killed me to knock up my timings from 2-2-2-5 to 2-2-3-5 but it was worth the extra FSBs but sacraficing anymore is too much for me[that's after tweaking over a 3 day period]. You'll see a big difference in your memory bandwidth and performance of your PC if you loosen your ram timings too much, and I mean that in a bad way.

-Overcrocked

ok i roger that thanks again and if you find a good northbridge cooling pls let me know meanwhile i will look also.
hope u reach your goal.

Ok, I'm getting a MCX159-A http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc4.html
for my Northbridge cooling. I would seriously recommend this. It's getting aces all-round from reviewers.

I'm not sure if my 900U will fit so I'm getting it exchanged for a MCX462-V http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc2.html, which is supposed to be slightly better for cooling and will leave enough room for the NB proportions that I will need.

Note: the page has been having server issues so you might have to hit the reload a few times before it pops up. They are both swiftech products. Personally I think they are the best air cooling solutions out right now.

-Overcrocked

Back