• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never seen this before..Help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ganndor

I run stable with no problems at 200mhz (default), but once i go above that to as little as 203mhz my video starts flipping out on me doing that thing where ya get triangle pop-up all over the place. Same as when you OC your vidoe card too far.

took the video card back to defualt levels and reinstalled the drivers for it as well. The really odd part is this only started happening today when i put in my new TwinXMSPC4000pro memory from coirsair. When i was using twinXMSPC3200pro it never did this but even then could only take the CPU to 225 before lockup. (one of the pc3200 sticks were bad so i went ahead and got pc4000 when i sent them back)

Here is my setup.. im begining to think my board may be the problem.. any thoughts ?

Jumperfree Configuration:
CPU External Freq (MHz) - 200
AGP/PCI Freq (MHz) - 33/66
CPU VCore Voltage - 1.60
DDR Reference Voltage - 2.65
AGP VDDQ Voltage - 1.60
Performance Mode - Auto

Chipset:
DRAM CAS# Latency - 2.0 Clocks
DRAM RAS# Precharge - 3 Clocks
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 3 Clocks
DRAM Precharge Delay - 6 Clocks
DRAM Burst Length - 4 Clocks
Performance Acceleration Mode - Enabled
DRAM Idle Timer - Auto
DRAM Refresh Rate - Auto

I have tried setting the ram to 3,4,4,8,8 to see if my timings were too tight but was no help, as soon as i get above 200mhz on the cpu my video start going nuts causing little pop-up flashing all over the place when i run benchmarks.

System specs:
Asus P4P8X MB rev.1009 (updated BIOS version)
Intel p4 2.8 hyper thread CPU (800fsb)
1024 coirsair XMSPC4000C2PRO (twin 512 sticks)
Nvidia 5900 ultra 256 video card

Thanks in advance.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Well 1st things i would check is make sure you AGP/PCI is locked at 66/33. Also there is no need ot push 1.6volts thru the AGP put it back to 1.5. I suspect those are the two factors causing instability. I believe that there is a 1011 bios out as well.

Ahh one more thing try putting your memory to CAS2.5 instead of 3....seems some sticks are goofy like that. Try that out and keep us posted as to your results. Good Luck.

Wierd stuff.. its only if i run my memory DDR.. was flopping stuff around s well as sticking in one of my old sticks. Problem only happens when i run the new PC4000 in dual channel in either bank> i stick them side by side and problem solved (and new problem created. I cant use the memory i paid so much for the way it was meant to be).

Thanks for the info Gurv, gonna go ahead and set those as you suggested as well jand give it another go. Will let ya know how it work out.

Test each stick out solo and check your results. I recommend using Memtest86. It's a great memeory test utility. Just do a search in the forums for it. It can also help to diagnose any problems your DDR may be having.

Aye did that both sticks are perfect. Can change the setting you suggested atm though got 2 other people online in the house atm (mine is the server). Soon as i get a chance to change those setting ill post back with the results.

I tested both sticks as soon as i got them with memtest because i was a little worried due to the fact that both the PC3200's i just sent back were bad.

No joy with the setting ya said i should change.. Im really thinking its just my board. More and more i read about it people say its very stable but sucks for OCing.

What do ya think about going with this setup:

System specs:
Abit Ic7-Max3
Intel p4 2.8 hyper thread CPU (800fsb)
1024 coirsair XMSPC4000C2PRO (twin 512 sticks)
Nvidia 5900 ultra 256meg video card
Antec Sideview case with 5 fans (3 exhaust 2 intake)
Sony DvD r+/r-/rw
Sony DvD rom
Western Digital Raptor 10,000 SATA HD
Soundblaster Live Audigy

Thats my current setup only replacing the P4P8X MB from Asus.

Looking to have a solid OC'ing Machine. Any thoughts or suggestions ?

P.S. Im going to have to put another CP back together so wont be scrapping the MB I have anyway, although it will be an overkill for my second comp.

Abit/Asus i highly recommend.

It is possible that your CPU is your bottleneck.....Have you tried to see what your max OC is with divider at 3/2, 5/4. Max out your CPU 1st so you know what your ceiling is. Something is limiting you. We just need to figure out what it is. Do you have stock cooling on your CPU? Check your temp with MBM5 or Asus probe as well.

Back