• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommened Nforce 2spp board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Hey guys. im on a mad oc/upgrading binge this winter. I just baught a Radeon 9800np from memoryexpress. flashed it to the pro bios and i have that thing running REALLY nice right now.

however, I have had some wee issues with it and getting it to work properly with my kt400 motherboard. I am going to assemble all the parts im not really using into a system i can sell locally for about $450 cdn. this covers my xp 1600, kt4 ultra sr, radeon 8500 and a some harddrive+monitor.

I plan to keep 2 of my memory sticks. I know that pc 2700 wont put me in the first rank of oc tests, but it will give me a nice little equalibrium of performence and stability for cost. im confident that my micron cas 2.5 pc 2700 can run in dual channel mode.

in any event. once this thing sells, i want to replace my cpu and my motherboard. I have decided that Barton 2500+ is the way to go as it will leave tons of room for potential overclocking. the only thing to decide on ,is a nfroce 2 spp based board to move to. A lot of people suggest the abit for its overclocking features. also, it appears to have a lot of features that althought nice, im not sure if its what i want.

I was looking around on the ncix forums and the soltek 75FRN2-L ranks evenly high and costs $50 less. I thought with my kt 400 i would be wanting to take advantage of serial ata raid and all that jazz. but frankly, it isnt important. onboard 5.1 audio isnt important either as i still use a soundblaster live value pci with studio headphones. I use seagates ata 4 drives for their low cost and they perform well.

soooo. what is the verdict. I am not obtuse to buying the nf7-s for the added *what if * features. im sure i would be very happy with it, but if i can get by using the soltek *get by meaning, similar performence and compatability* then i might as well save $50 ne?

incidently, cooling. I have been using a sk7+ heatsink with thermaltake fan for as long as i have had this 1600+. with the new dia on the tbred and barton core, i have been told on rare occasion that the smaller sk6 is more efficiant to cool it. what is the verdict on this. when i sell my system, i will either keep my sk7 for my barton or i will use the sk6 i was planning to bundle in the package.

any input would rule. im pretty out of the nforce loop right now.

Back