• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it ok to pair a 2500+ Barton with PC2700 if I'm not OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

So I want to put together a relatively cheap computer, but I still want to be able to play tomorrow's games. Now, I don't plan to oc AT ALL, since when I start, I never finish and I become obsessed with getting higher results, and then get ****ed off when I have to pull off the side and reset the CMOS.

With that said, I'm thinking of getting a Barton 2500+ AMD CPU and an nForce mobo. I don't know which mobo to get but it seems like my best bet is an NF7, since the only ones that are cheaper are Apacer and Biostar and I haven't heard much about those.

The main question of this post is: If I'm not OCing, would it be all right to use PC2700 memory with my Barton? And could I just get some crappy memory brand too? Or should I still get some good memory?

T.I.A. guys!

PC2700 would be fine. Personally, I'd pay the extra few dollars and get the good stuff so it could run tight timings e.g. 2-2-2-11 for better memory bandwidth as that's pretty important to gaming.

~THT

2700 would go fine with the xp-2500 but you might want to think about gettin 3200 not to oc but to expand in the future.. your next proc will prob have 400 fsb... and then you have to pay again to upgrade the ram

Back