• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS Mushkin worth the extra $40 over Buffalo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremecorvette

Disabled
IS Mushkin Black L2 worth the extra $40 over Buffalo PC3700? Can I OC the Mushkin that much more that its worth the extra $40?

Does anyone know what the diffrence is between these two memory sticks.

Buffalo Pc3700

Model#: DD466-S256

Model#: DD466-S256/WB

Differance is:

Mushkin BL2 promises Winbond BH-5 chips; Buffalo doesn not.
Mushkin offers a 2-week "Like it or Return it" policy.
Mushkin has better, industry-leading support.
Mushkin's black PCB is of slightly better quailty then Buffalo's generic green.
Mushkin promises 200/216MHz at 2-2-2 timings (PC3200/PC3500).
Buffalo PC3700 is not in-stock in 512MB variety.

Add that up, plus there's probably a few other differances, and see if it's worth the extra $40 to you (everyone differs).

The memory chips are the same Winbond BH-5 chips. Memory chip is the single most important part to overclocking memory, so overclocking performance should be similar.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Mushkin BL2 promises Winbond BH-5 chips; Buffalo doesn not.
Speed_Mechanic2 said:
The memory chips are the same Winbond BH-5 chips.
Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Mushkin offers a 2-week "Like it or Return it" policy.
Since Newegg will refund your money for 30 days, this is not a factor. There is where the otherwise-meaningless PC3700 designation come in handy, as there is no way the ram will run 466MHz on an Intel board at rated timings. If you don't like the buffalo, return it for that reason.

Speed_Mechanic2 [/i][B] Mushkin has better said:
Memory chip is the single most important part to overclocking memory, so overclocking performance should be similar.
Now there's the truth of the matter. The rest is just falderal promulgated to justify spending too much on the Mushkin. If you read the reports of Mushkin Level 2 owners here in this forum, you will see that the modules perfrom NO better than the buffalo. Some people like to believe in magic though, and they associate more of it with the Mushkin.

~

Where is Buffalo PC3700 512MB in stock? At Newegg it lists as out-of-stock, unless you see access to it in-stock that I'm just not seeing? :rolleyes:

falderal promulgated - nice big words :)

larva said:
Umm, he was asking about the 256MB module, but be that at is may the 512MB is in stock as well.

The "good" 512MB Buffalo is still not in stock. It's at the bottom of the page here.

I appreciate larva's expertise; I'm just waiting for NewEgg to get the cheaper Buffalo 512MB back in stock.

edit: I also like the "promulgated"... reminds me of college.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Where is Buffalo PC3700 512MB in stock? At Newegg it lists as out-of-stock, unless you see access to it in-stock that I'm just not seeing? :rolleyes:

falderal promulgated - nice big words :)

You are right there. It was in stock this afternoon. Looks like quantities are limited in the 512MB version, but as noted he was considering the in-stock 256s in any event.

Falderal and promulgated are no bigger words than limited or considering, just not nearly so commonly used. You will have to pardon me if my vocabulary was showing :D

1Time said:
The "good" 512MB Buffalo is still not in stock. It's at the bottom of the page here.
There is no "good" or "bad" Buffalo PC3700. The parts shipped under both numbers are identical, I've had both. I've even run one stick of each in OC'ed and GAT-ed to death configurations with 2-2-2-5 timings and suffered no loss of performance as compared to running two sticks of either one. I haven't the foggiest why Buffalo has two part numbers for both this and the PC3200 CH5 stuff, as I have personally verified in both cases the modules to be identical.

larva, I only see one entry for PC3700 512MB at NewEgg. Which one on their site is the "equal" to the PC3700 512MB that shows out of stock? Thanks.

The two part numbers are DD466-S512 and DD466-S512/WB, only the former is listed at present. They have both in the 256MB versions. Some people took the abscense of the /WB to mean that the former is not BH5, but in reality both part numbers bear the same sticker bearing the /WB on the end of the part number. Sorry, they don't have stock on either.

well, what chips do Samsung PC800 sticks have? cause I've OCed them 112mhz, and remember, its not DDR..so it is a TRUE 112mhz, not 56mhz.

This was with no cooling either :)

larva said:

Falderal and promulgated are no bigger words the limited or considering, just not nearly so commonly used. You will have to pardon me if my vocabulary was showing :D
:bang head *WHACK* that vocabulary back into its cage. How did it get out?? :D

So save the extra 40 and get Buffalo. Does one stick OC better than two? If so I think I'm going to go with the 512MB stick of Buffalo. Has any one tried PC4000 on there AMD setups? Do they have bh-5 chips?

I got both the buffalo and the mushkin to test out. So far, performance is similar between the 2 as expected, w/ the mushkin being slightly better. I must say I am a little disappointed w/ both though, but maybe my expectations were just too high. With the mushkin, I can run 3dmark at 5:4 240mhz, 2-5-2-2 on my canterwood board w/ 3.3volts. However, the max I have gotten it stable at is 292 5:4 = 233, 2-6-3-2 w/ 3.2 volts. Stable being defined as looping memtest86 test #5 for a couple hours w/ out any errors. Definitely higher than its rated speed but I was hoping w/ all the voltage on tap, it would go further.

extremecorvette said:
So save the extra 40 and get Buffalo. Does one stick OC better than two? If so I think I'm going to go with the 512MB stick of Buffalo. Has any one tried PC4000 on there AMD setups? Do they have bh-5 chips?

1 stick will O/C better than 2. The PC4300 512MB Buffalo on NewEgg's site shows it has Hynix chips, not Winbond BH-5.

Here's a review of the PC4300.

Well if your considering going for 2 sticks then you might go with the Mushkin. That way you can get a matched pair for about the same price plus you don't have to wait.

The PC4300 is crap from what the review says

Not sure how you go that, my feelings from the review seemed to be completely different. I thought it looked to be good ram considering the price and reliablilty of Buffalo so far. Granted it said it wasn't good for AMD but what 4k+ ram is since none are BH-5 chips? This is for Intel boards for the most part.

I looking for OC it so I've been told that 1 stick is better than 2, but would the Mushkin be better even with 2 sticks?

Back