• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Bios for NF7-S v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenai

Registered
I finally took the plunge, well , I got the wife to loosen the purse strings and I am buying a WD raptor hard drive. $110 at newegg.

You can see my system spec's in the sig. My system is very stable, but my current HD is my weak-point.

I will be installing Windows XP SP1 with all the latest drivers for hardware.

What Bios, if any, gives the best performance, now that I will be utilizing SATA instead of PATA?

Thanks for any help!

Kenai said:
What Bios, if any, gives the best performance, now that I will be utilizing SATA instead of PATA?

Thanks for any help!
The bios that came on board should be 18. That is good enough.
There is a new one (19) just out this past week, but it only adds compatability for the new Duron series chip w/266 fsb.
Do all of your windows updates, get the latest SATA driver (should come with windows updates).

I hope you are not running the Maxtor on the SATA. You need, (I should say it is recommended) a minimum of 100ATA for any drives there. (Using an IDE drive with the serial adapter). Not sure about stability long term with any slower drive.

Good luck!
;)

Not really, can recognise 180G.

Only really old mother board does the 137G limits.

Oh, I see the point now...... it was not about RAID, it was about large HDD. Thx man.:D

as far as overclocking goes, bios 10 seems to be the best, but it has problems with RAID SATA corruption (altho a modified version which should fix the problem is available) ... but if you're not into highest FSB (say over 215), the latest is the best :D ...

the choice is urs.

I actually found Bios 19 better for overclocking than bios 10. I think it's just luck of the draw with the hardware you have more than what bios you use [I want a raptor as well].

-Overcrocked

Thanks for the replies

I haven't done any volt mods, but I do like to overclock ..... to some extent. I am running Bios 10 now, and I am able to get to 210, have'nt tried any higher, with no problems. I have further read about some SATA problems with bios 10, but I agree, it's luck of the draw and what type of hardware you run. I get corrupted files with 10 on my little Maxtor now, and no I do not have it hooked to my SATA. I will post my results, on OC levels when I install it this weekend. I think I will try both 18 and 19 and see what happens with both.

Thanks for the info.

XP recognises large drives no problem. Running a 200gb drive in here atm without issue. I have it partitioned into several parts though...

CoolRunnings said:
XP recognises large drives no problem. Running a 200gb drive in here atm without issue. I have it partitioned into several parts though...

XP would have a problem with 200GB which is why it has to be partitioned. Each partition looks like another HD to windows.

BTW, watch the double posting next time.;)

For the bios I used the nf7d14b1.

For the nforce drivers I used nForce_2.03_WinXP_english

These are known to be the preformance dios and drivers.

kagee108 said:

XP would have a problem with 200GB which is why it has to be partitioned. Each partition looks like another HD to windows.

Anyone with a 200gb hard would crazy not to partition a 200gb
Hard Drive anyway. Defragging a full 200gb hard drive gives me the chills.

kagee108 said:

BTW, watch the double posting next time.;)

Watch out! Kagee is the double post police! :D

9mmCensor said:
For the bios I used the nf7d14b1.

For the nforce drivers I used nForce_2.03_WinXP_english

These are known to be the preformance dios and drivers.

I don't know about the drivers, but Bios 14 maybe be a little out of date for a new Raptor Sata drive. Anyways, I've gotten better performance out of Bios 19 then out of 10/14/17/18, but I'm just repeating myself here anyways.

Last edited:
Back