• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N-FORCE Boards & non-booting / reboot loop issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kagee108

You can see from a previous thread that several of us have had to deal with one of these issues. After hours of research, Windows Tweaks and registry hacks, many hairs pulled out in frustration, the solution all came down to this: the PSU.

Now mind you these PSU's were checking out ok. And as in my case, worked fine on another system. For whatever reason, they were not functioning properly when it came to powering off the computer and for some, booting up. Although there were alot of Abit boards involved, this is not limited to Abit brand.

So, IMHO, after researching this issue at several websites, N-Force boards seem to finicky about PSU's. The re-boot loop problem being one of the side effects. So, if you are starting from scratch or upgrading to an N-Force board carefully analyze how you are going to power the system.

I advise any power supply that is A) made by an approved AMD vendor B) make sure that PSU is ATX12V complient C) purchase a 350w minimum PSU made by a vendor with a good reputation.

May your N-Force experience start out on a better footing than mine did. Peace to all.

:cool:

nice

I had a very similar experience and it was also the power supply.

Like Kagee said make sure that ti is an AMD Approved power supply. Has plenty of power output ( at least 350) .
And is a reputable brand.

In my case I had a pretty good brand to start with, Enermax.
Which had worked fine in my previous intel system.

Follow his simple words of advice and you will save yourselves alot of trouble.

Later

Wardog

Remember AMD approved

mine wasnt

I tried a total of three myself.

The first was the one I built the system with which was an Enermax the second was a Foxconn from an old Dell system.
The third was an Austin which came out of my friends Chieftec case.
The generic Austin was the one that finally worked.
I dont think that the Enermax is a bad supply it just doesnt fall into AMD standard for switching.

Wardog

Kagee108, I have a question. In MBM5 all of my voltage levels are stable except for the +12 which fluxuates between 11.67 and 11.80 the -12 volt fluxuates between 12.19 and 12.28. The 3.3 line is stable but reads @3.23, the +5 volt is always at 5.13. The psu is made by NSpire and is atx and p4 complient. it just kinda bothers me that the +12 is over a 1/4volt low.

james.miller said:
just out of interest, what psu was you having a problem with? q-tec by any chance?

Mine was a POWMAX. Works fine with my KT-7A R, just not this N-Force board.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Kagee108, I have a question. In MBM5 all of my voltage levels are stable except for the +12 which fluxuates between 11.67 and 11.80 the -12 volt fluxuates between 12.19 and 12.28. The 3.3 line is stable but reads @3.23, the +5 volt is always at 5.13. The psu is made by NSpire and is atx and p4 complient. it just kinda bothers me that the +12 is over a 1/4volt low.

It stands to reason that you might see some fluxuation in the 12v line with all the stuff you have running there. As long as everything remains stable, you don't have anything to worry about.

Back