• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am surprised to hear that

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

humv

Registered
Is it true that one cannot install Win98 on NF7-S mobo¡H

I will be damned if it is true. Anyone?

Last edited:
Ummmm....I have never tried, but using my computer knowledge here I would say thats absolutely not true. It might be that the drivers don't work as well with windows 98, but there is no reason why you can't install it. That sounds like its not true at all. Try it and find out for yourself, though. It can't hurt. Best of luck!

Matt

I have done it, I built my nf7-s system with win2kpro, at the same time i built the same system for a good friend. He happens to be stuck with win98se because he has an old 1-way cable modem that will not operate under 2k/XP. I had a bit of a tough time getting windows installed on the raid-0 array, a couple updates from microsoft's downloads site, and some work with fdisk, and i was in there. Not that big a deal at all. One thing to note, is that soundstorm currently has a problem under win98. If you experience problems with mp3 playback and other things, you will need to set the hardware sound acceleration down to "basic". that will fix that problem at least until we have some newer sound drivers. You can PM me if you have any problems getting it set up, but it should work out fine for you.

J.

juliendogg said:
I have done it, I built my nf7-s system with win2kpro, at the same time i built the same system for a good friend. He happens to be stuck with win98se because he has an old 1-way cable modem that will not operate under 2k/XP. I had a bit of a tough time getting windows installed on the raid-0 array, a couple updates from microsoft's downloads site, and some work with fdisk, and i was in there. Not that big a deal at all. One thing to note, is that soundstorm currently has a problem under win98. If you experience problems with mp3 playback and other things, you will need to set the hardware sound acceleration down to "basic". that will fix that problem at least until we have some newer sound drivers. You can PM me if you have any problems getting it set up, but it should work out fine for you.

J.

I can understand the bit about driver, but the bit about fdisk....Why fdisk, how do u mean....what hv i got to do?

Last edited:
Just had to use an updated Fdisk (available from microsoft) that would recognize the array as a drive, and allow me to size the partitions. the Fdisk in win98 would not recognize the correct size of the array, and could not partition it properly. U need to do this before installing win98, because, unlike 2k/XP win98 will not prompt u for scsi/raid drivers upon installation. As soon as 98 is up and running at that point you will need to install the latest sata/raid drivers. That's about all i can think of, and of course it only applies to installing windows 98 to a sata raid array.

J.

Thx juliendogg, save me sleepless nights.....ha....

Back