• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions about this setup please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ganndor

What do ya think about going with this setup:

System specs:
Abit Ic7-Max3
Intel p4 2.8 hyper thread CPU (800fsb)
1024 coirsair XMSPC4000C2PRO (twin 512 sticks)
Nvidia 5900 ultra 256meg video card
Antec Sideview case with 5 fans (3 exhaust 2 intake)
Sony DvD r+/r-/rw
Sony DvD rom
Western Digital Raptor 10,000 SATA HD
Soundblaster Live Audigy

Thats my current setup only replacing the P4P8X MB from Asus.

Looking to have a solid OC'ing Machine. Any thoughts or suggestions ?

P.S. Im going to have to put another CP back together so wont be scrapping the MB I have anyway, although it will be an overkill for my second comp.

Ditch the 5900 Ultra and get a 9800 Pro instead.

The 2.8C is a waste if you are not cooling and ocing with a phase change solution. Get the 2.4C it will most likely do the same as the 2.8 on air.

-Florian

looks pretty nice id suggest droping the 5900 for the 9800 as well

also ive been having alot of problems with my 1024 4000pro stix
i think its more compatibility problems with board than ram though. i can do some amazing stuff with it in my roomates p4c800-e might want to look at the ocz 4000 if your going to run 5:4 or 1:1 highest i could get my ram to boot in at 1:1 was 260 @ 2.8v anything over that and it wouldnt even post on my max3 :(

Not sure I agree with the statement that 2.8C are a waste unless you're supercooling them. Just got mine up to 3.58 gig tonight on air using the 1:1 ratio with Corsair PC4000 Pro RAM. But to be honest, unless you have deep pockets, the 2.6C for $175 at newegg.com is a bargain right now. Match this up with good PC3500 and run the 5:4 ratio with tight timings. You'll get nearly the same performance out of this overclocked system due to higher FSB and tighter RAM timings as you will with the much more expensive 2.8C and PC4000 RAM.

NOTE: Both the IC7 and the IC7-Max3 require the latest BIOS update in order to run the 1:1 ratio above 250 FSB.

drop the fx5900 and get a 9800PRO instead also....and ditch the 2.8c, 2.4c is the way its meant to be played

Back