• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why so man SD issues?!?!?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stikphysh

why so many SD issues?!?!?!?!

I work as a computer technician and so naturaly i install a LOT of ram. i have noticed that starting about a month ago, SD ram has been having an absurd amount of issues.
normaly, we get a model of the computer, or motherboard, see what crucial says it can handle, and put it in, no problems, but lately its been getting really funky. for example, the max for each slot may be listed by compaq and crucial as 256 pc133, but the system will only post with 128 pc100s, but even still will only recognize half of what you put in.
my coworkers have noticed the same things, and its really making our lives a pain in the rectum. has anyone else noticed this as well, or does anyone have any input as to why?

Last edited:
i havent been seeing this but.... it maybe because ddr is taking over and sd isnt getting the same quality or they are trying to get rid of the last of sd

You're prolly installing the new 8-chip SDRAM sticks. A lot of SDRAM boards have problems with these and only recognize half of them. You need the original 16-chip SDRAM sticks, these are also available but cost a little more...

Lancelot said:
You're prolly installing the new 8-chip SDRAM sticks. A lot of SDRAM boards have problems with these and only recognize half of them. You need the original 16-chip SDRAM sticks, these are also available but cost a little more...
um... could it also have to do with single or double sided memory? or is it usualy safe to assume that if the manual doesnt list it, its not important? (lol when is it EVER safe to assume something like that?)

I have noticed the same thing and also have seen quit a bit of memory failures in the past couple months. This is all with SDRAM PC100 and PC133

Lancelot said:
i did notice that they are the 8 chip sticks. unfortunately our customers wont likely want to pay the extra $10-15 per stick, so its kindof a risk to go out and stock up on the stuff if its not going to fix the problem. does anyone know of a link or can anyone somehow verify that the number of chips on the stick is the problem? thanks yall for your help

Back