• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HyperX pc3500 and the P4P800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staccato9

Registered
I have 2x256 mb of Kingston HyperX. I read on the www.asus.com that this motherboard cant do 4x256 mb in dual mode. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this to see if it is true or not. Seems kind of strange that it would work with 2 and not 4 sticks.

Hi,

I' m considering to buy another 2 sticks. I think the reason is mobo can not produce that power safely. Thats why. In the asuspage its said that 4*PC3200 is ok but did not mention PC3500. I think PC3500 requiers more pwer and it is too much for the mobo. And probably if you want use 4*PC3500 they will practically be 4*PC3200.

These are what I' m thinking, they are not scienticical facts. Correct me if I' m wrong.

so if I got just 2 more sticks of pc3500 but ran them at 400 mhz ddr then it would be fine as a 4x256 mb in dual mode?

If you run pc 3500 @ 3200 speed it should allow tighter timings as you are underclocking it. I'm not sure about the power issue, but it would seem that if it supplies enough for 2 sticks it should for 4 also. If not I think that would be a psu issue.

Firochromis said:
Hi,

I' m considering to buy another 2 sticks. I think the reason is mobo can not produce that power safely. Thats why. In the asuspage its said that 4*PC3200 is ok but did not mention PC3500. I think PC3500 requiers more pwer and it is too much for the mobo. And probably if you want use 4*PC3500 they will practically be 4*PC3200.

These are what I' m thinking, they are not scienticical facts. Correct me if I' m wrong.

hi, lets clear something here;)

but did not mention PC3500. I think PC3500 requiers more pwer and it is too much for the mobo.

first thing, pc3500 and pc3200 are the same, one just happends to run alittle faster, thats all, same technology...

next. the asus board CAN NOT mention pc3500, two main reasons,

first, pc3500 is just overclock pc3200, so no new technology

second, the fasters intel chips are rated at max of 200FSB, so that mean pc3200, since there is was not an intel chip with higher FSB, asus could not included pc3500 or higher speeds, which could lead to false adverticing;)

Thanks for all the insight guys. Hopefully I can buy myself a good Christmas present of some more HyperX :). I guess if it doesn't work I can always return it to newegg.

P.S. thanks for welcoming me to the forums Firochromis

Back