• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 and 2.4C instability on restart or reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lbbo2002

My dilemma:

I have an IS7-E and a 2.4C proc set to [email protected] at the moment with no startup problems.

I have 900U w/110 92mm Delta keeping the proc at 36-37C full load with 2 instances of prime95 and one instance of 3Dmark looping.

The Northbridge stays at 46-48C during this time after I replaced the "gum" Abit used with Artic III. Ran as high at 70C before I put AIII - ouch

OCZ 3700 Gold Memory is set 5:[email protected] 2,7,3,3 Street Racer, Normal, auto, disabled, disabled.

Antec Ture 480 PSU - All rails solid

Here is my problem :mad:

I can boot into windows and run [email protected] and prime and 3dmark as long as I don't reboot (cold or soft). Rock stable, play any game, do anything, just do not restart. I have to work my way back to 280 from 265 (3 or 4 attempts to get it going again)

What gives? Anyone have a clue? Why would the system be perfectly stable in windows over 24hrs prime and 3dmark loops and can't boot back to the same settings?

I have the latest bios (updated yesterday) but that didn't help.

I can't get the GAT enabled either? At least not according to CPUid tool. How do you enable it on the IS-7? I just though the memory settings did it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a friend with a similar setup like yours. He's tha same problem. No problem to boot/post up to 270FSB, after that, not even post... And in windows he's able to use clockgen to get to 285FSB dual prime stable.
I don't have any solution but to wait for Abit to release a new bios, cause it sure feels like that is the problem...

Secondly; Are you sure your temps are right? You haven't swapped the cpu with the case or pwm sensors?
I haven't even seen such low temps with water, windows opened and idle...

Thanks crotale, I thought I was going nuts but you described the exact same problem (though I can get it to boot at 280 just not twice in a row).

I guess I will use clockgen and see if I have similar results. I going to have to post to the Abit compnay forum I guess go see if they have any complaints and/or a fix in the works.

I have to look at the temps, I may have the NB and CPU reversed but the temps seem better with the latest BOIS update. Guess I better check :)

Looks like I did have the CPU on the wrong winbond 2 location. Temps are in the low 50's under load.

Using clockgen I can run 285 just fine. No errors in prime(2 instances) or looping 3dmark (2001 or 2003).

Memory is good for 1:1@250 so I know its not a problem at 5:4.

Time to make some comments to Abit and see what I get.

Thanks for the windbond correction, I knew the correct settings just somehow didn't have them right :D on this board. I just thought the sensor was fixed or something as the other IS7 I own was in the mid 50's but on an older bios.

This has to be a gat or memory issue!!!

Just for grins I moved all my settings to the lowest possible for 5:4 opperation. I can boot into and run at 291 FSB. Seems to be something with the GAT or memory or both at 5:4.

I have way underclocked my RAM using 3:2 to boot at 300 (no windows load though). This is strange as the CPU can do it so its getting MR Ram to be happy. Since I can 1:1 up to 250 without errors my assumtion as been that 466 on ram at 5:4 is cool. Well I guess its not so back to tinkering.

Few more data points for the rest of ya

Hm, I'm have to try messing with the memory more... I had an IS7 (may it rest in peace) and it worked perfectly at 285 (3:2) but it would occasionally just hang during boots, very annoying.

Now I have an AI7 and it seems to like to hang even MORE randomly.....ARG

ShaDrag,

I have the exact same problem during warm boots only which is why I suspect a RAM issue (hang one in 10 after long use/prime/fold session. I am adding more cooling to my NB (a Tiger) since the NB gets in the low 50's. Almost equals the CPU :mad:

If I under clock the RAM most of the reboot issues go away. I have been successful running GAT at: Street R, Normal, Auto, Disabled, Disabled under 270. Anything above 270 I have to set GAT to: Auto, Normal, Auto, Disabled, Disabled.

Interesting thing is I can use clockgen to OC from 260 ->285 prime stable, with aggressive 2,7,3,3 (OZC 3700 Gold)+ GAT ON go figure. Not sure what I am missing but it’s been fun to tinker. I get 296 (boots into windows but is less than stable) with Clockgen + No GAT

I would swear it was the PSU if it wasn't for the fact I switched it out for the other Antec 480 in my other machine with the same results

Some have played with the boot strap but I can't boot in 667, maybe a GAT thing here too as its supposed to be on in that mode, others made no diff.

Well thats been my experience so I wish you luck in your quest to get a good OC and stable

Hm, thanks for the info. I really have to go crazy with this AI7 and try everything. I wish I had more time to mess with it. I'll probably play with the timings a little more, I usually just leave them at 2226 with gat either on SR-a-a-d-d or a-a-a-d-d, but I'm gonna try to mess with every one once I have the time.

I have the exact same setup with the exact same problem, and im sure its the ram. Ive swapped out everything else in my computer, and the minute the ram came out guess what? Problem gone.

Hope you don't mind if I pose a question on your thread here about the IS7. I've only had mine for about a week and I haven't gone past 230-240 fsb yet. I noticed you said low 50's on load for CPU temps. I idle around 44 and get into the 50's on load myself. I haven't had any stability issues so I'm not really worried, but I wonder if these are accurate temps or does the board read a bit high? This is my first Abit mobo but I thought I remember reading that they tend to report high temps.

Thanks in advance and good luck!

CChaos

Both my IS7's (reg and E model) run about 5C off. Just a guess since I have not measured it. I have hit in the low 60's on a hot day and the NB is the only area of the board that seems to be correct in terms of temp. Since I put the Tiger Chip cooler on I have not seen a problem with my NB temps.

For me my problem was the RAM and GAT settings. If I turn it off after 270 (A,A,A,D,D) I can go to 290 (boot but windows fails). Since I get better performance with GAT on Street Racer,Enhanced, auto, D, D, I have started running at 270. I can then run my OCZ 3700 EL Gold at 2,6,3,3. Thats compared to 285 with no GAT and RAM at 2,7,3,3. +/- 3% dif from 285 performance wise so who knows just feels/loads/runs better @ 270.

I have tried several types of RAM and each exhibits the same behavior at different FSB with my 2.4c and GAT.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 4:5 divider issue though with certain RAM.

Crank the O/C I bet your IS-7 is just coasting :) so up that baby

I read quite a bit about the temp issues on abit-usa.com after I posted this. As long as it's stable, the temps don't bother me too much.

I'm still more interested in what this chip can do before I mess much with my RAM timings. I have it at 2-3-3-6 and 5:4 at 240 and I think it's on Street Racer now. I haven't even touched the other GAT settings. I doubt I'm going to get those monster bus speeds though because I don't like to get too aggressive (read noisy) with my cooling and I hear the 2.4's are the best ocers anyway.

Booted fine to windows at 250fsb this weekend though it wasn't prime stable at 1.55v, but again I didn't have time to play with it much. I'd heard some 2.8's were doing 3.5 so I had to try. I think he's probably using the System temp as the NB, but I'm not sure. I noticed that this board undervolts a bit. Default for me is showing up at 1.49 or 1.50 so that 1.55 was like 1.52v according to the Hardware Doc. I hate to push the voltage much, but if I have to balance out .25-.35 undervolt then I guess it's not too bad.

NB is messured in the Bios and MBM. Crotale straighten me out on the MBM setting. Most of the time you can feel the heat coming off the NB (just watch the fingers) The orginal heatsink was very hot to the touch. Once I swapted the orginal NB with the Tiger everything has setted down and temps never get over 42C while the MB stays 33-34C.

Both my IS7 boards undervolt a hair. I can run 1.725 and the Bios/MBM both read about 1.68-1.69 average. I need a steady 1.65 so I leave it at 1.7 and everthing averages out OK dual prime stable + 3d loops for 285. I have the votage down to 1.65 since I run at 270.

CChaos at 255 I need a .025 increase, again at 260. I need 1.6-1.625 to keep stable at 270 so I run 1.65 which seems to average it out to about 1.61-1.62 from MBM.

Nothing above 1.75 has done anything for the CPU. If it doens't boot / load at 1.75 its not going to with any amount of voltage. Thats my CPU any

That undervolt sounds about like what I'm seeing though I'd expect a little variation due to different configurations and power supplies.

As of last night I'm at 243fsb so 3.4Ghz on 1.575v. Hardware Doctor is still reporting my Vcore at 1.52 max though. I'm curious to see if I can hit 250 on this voltage. If so, I might be temped to call it good at 3.5Ghz. BUT, if I have to give it more juice than I guess I'll have to see how far that juice will take me.

250fsb was really my goal coming in. Something about running 1000mhz data rate and still having my RAM running at stock clock with the 5:4 divider (so 400mhz) appeals to me. I'm already happy though so this is icing on the cake.

Thanks for the reassurance about the undervolt. I'm a bit of a sissy went it comes to putting extra volts into my chips. I'm my system's worst bottleneck!

Luck!

EDIT: Sig change! 3.4!

Well its something with the board. My other IS7 runs the 2.4c just fine. Thought it stange that I could clockgen up to 295 and not crash but couldn't boot to save my life above 275.

Anywho this system is priming away at 293 at 1.62v. I am very happy dude, well mostly.. got to RMA this POS IS7-E. I stuck my other chip (3.0C) in it and is sucked. Works fine in the old board at 3.75 (250). Did the same thing it did with my 2.4C. Random reboots, divider problems, instability after days of working just fine and passing all prime / 3d tests just to fail a few days later. Not sure what is the problem is on the board but it gets to go back.

Back