• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max3 Northbridge Cooling - worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sp00L

Is it worth it to try something like the new swiftech n/b cooler for p4 chipsets? I've done the usual in the past of replacing the n/b thermal pad with AS3 or AS Cermanique and a little sanding with 2K grit to smooth things out. I've never really noticed much other than maybe 1-2 more FSB. Anyone out there tried one of these puppies and can offer up their experience? $37 is a bit to gain maybe 5 MHz. I'm more interested in how it affects stability at previously unattained oc's.

After doing some research, it's not worth the investment. First and foremost is the quality of the cpu.

It depends on how high of a FSB you're using. The higher you try to go, then extra n/b cooling will benefit more and more. However, at 250 FSB, you won't need any extra cooling.

when i get a chance im gonna mod a 60mm copper hs with a 56 watt pelt on the northbridge of my ic7 . ill let u know if its worth it

well guys my machine is physically 75% done. I will have the Northbridge cooled as well as the CPU and 9700 Pro. I had dreams of 300 FSB+ til I saw the AGP lock issue so I dunno if it's really worth it or not for us ATI users, but I hope to hit 300.....will post upon completion. CYA!

Back