• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got NF7-S and green 2500+ what now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djpeetur

I got
-NF7-S v2.0
-green 2500+ barton xp, it can be OC to 3200+ said the seller
-SLK-900a
-thermaltake smartfan II 80mm
-512 pc3200 ram

Im a newb. Is this the right setup to go to achieve 3200+,

Should go 2.2, What is the stepping code on your Barton? what brand of 3200, is it a dual pack? Not sure but you may have to up your mem voltage a tad and try a relaxed mem setting. Start small and test, test, test. If you have not done so already download "Prime95" and "memtest". Sandra is good also and "CPUID". I'm somewhat new to the board myself but we have a simular setup, 2205 was no problem for mine. Try the link below for info and be sure to check out the various sticky threads on the board. there is a wealth of info here.

http://www.deep-powder.net/OC_Guide/Mem_Mobo_CPU_Overclocking_Guide.htm#ocnforce

Dr. Strangelove said:
Should go 2.2, What is the stepping code on your Barton? what brand of 3200, is it a dual pack? Not sure but you may have to up your mem voltage a tad and try a relaxed mem setting. Start small and test, test, test. If you have not done so already download "Prime95" and "memtest". Sandra is good also and "CPUID". I'm somewhat new to the board myself but we have a simular setup, 2205 was no problem for mine. Try the link below for info and be sure to check out the various sticky threads on the board. there is a wealth of info here.

http://www.deep-powder.net/OC_Guide/Mem_Mobo_CPU_Overclocking_Guide.htm#ocnforce

AXDA2500DKV4D Y864817260123 AQXEA 0330VPMW.
that my stepping code
my ram is 512 64x64 cl2.5 DDR the brand is legacy electronic. got it from fry's electronic

Personally, I don't know much about Barton steppings but the newer the better is what I hear. The ram, now that's gonna be a problem. It'll probably get you to 200fsb but it's cas 2.5 so you're not gonna get much higher, and if you do you'll have to relax your ram timings[which is bad, if you didn't know :D]. If you can get a good brand of ram: anything from Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ, Buffalo, Samsung, Twinmos and Kingston off the top of my head that would be stellar. If you don't replace it now, it will likely become an issue futher down the road.

-Overcrocked

Overcrocked said:
Personally, I don't know much about Barton steppings but the newer the better is what I hear. The ram, now that's gonna be a problem. It'll probably get you to 200fsb but it's cas 2.5 so you're not gonna get much higher, and if you do you'll have to relax your ram timings[which is bad, if you didn't know :D]

-Overcrocked

so i can acheieve 2.2ghz ok? but if i want higher? ishould get better ram like ocz like u overcrocked? also right now i have a xp2000+ on a kr7a-133r. i havent been able to overclock this because it like 58 C on IDLE. I have a volcano 7 and artic silver? any ideas

You're case needs good airflow, at least a couple intake and exhaust fans. Mak sure you wires aren't cluttered and blocking off important parts of your computer. You'll need a better heatsink and fan. I would say get some Thermalright or Swiftech. Get a nice big fan for your CPU to attach to the HS. I personally would get a Tornado, but they are loud as hell and bother a lot of people. It doesn't bother me. There are other good fans out there like the Thermaltake Smartfan, I see a lot of people using those. Also, use Arctic Silver 5 for thermal paste. That should help.
Just like what you have for your new computer. Although I would recommend a SLK947U over a SLK900A; theres 4 or 5 degrees difference.

Trust me a SLK900U and Tornado fan made a huge difference over my Volcano 7 w/ Ducting mod. Huge difference.

As for the ram, yea get some high quality stuff. like I said in an earlier post, good brands are: Corsair, OCZ, Twinmos, Buffalo, Kingston, Mushkin. Any of those at PC3200 or better at Cas 2[make sure that the ram is cas2] will definatly help in your overclock. Personally I think you're best choice would be from the first 3. Although Buffalo is cheaper is still a good performer so you might look at that too.

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
What Overcrocked said! Your RAM is the most important investment in your rig. Go with the high grade stuff, and it should last at least a couple of upgrades to your system. Spend a few dollars more there and in the long run it will be cheaper to do so. The tornado is not loud to me either, just get a fan controller like the TT Hardcano 9 to tame the beast. Don't know anything about the SLK-947 but if it will save a couple of degrees.. go for it!

Make sure you're getting the fastest ram for each brand. For example if your gonna get some 3500 Muskin make sure it's level 2. If you get Corsair 3200 make sure it's XMS, if you want to get OCZ make sure it's EL. It all makes a huge difference. Really there is no point in buying ram over 2700 unless your going to overclock your computer. If you buy standard OCZ 3500 at 2.5 CAS you're just wasting your money.

-Overcrocked

I plan on OCing (although this is my first time). I also plan on getting 1g of RAM, buying 2 sticks of 512....

If you have a sec, point me to the best deal you think newegg has for my sig's system. I am going to tinker and OC slowly, but I want to make a good start even if it means waiting a few more paychecks to get what I really want.

**edit** I might get 1 stick to start with and pick up another for my birthday or xmas...

Last edited:
I can't really show you any deals, because all the stuff I get is from Canadian sites. I rarely browse American sites. Sorry.

If you look, you'll find a deal somewhere though.

-Overcrocked

BigSmokey said:
I plan on OCing (although this is my first time). I also plan on getting 1g of RAM, buying 2 sticks of 512....

If you have a sec, point me to the best deal you think newegg has for my sig's system. I am going to tinker and OC slowly, but I want to make a good start even if it means waiting a few more paychecks to get what I really want.

**edit** I might get 1 stick to start with and pick up another for my birthday or xmas...

Really there is not point in getting 1gig other than brag rights and video editing.

If you still want 1gig of ram, maybe look into Twinmos or Buffalo. Grant it they are NOTHING compared to Mushkin and others as far as companies go, but they do get very good overclocks.

However, like I said, unless you do video editing or have the money to spare, don't get 1gig and instead, invest that extra $100 or so into something else.

i was wondering about the serial ata convertor for the nf7-s, I put 1st boot as SERIAL ATA, but when it booting it automatically restarts my comptuer, it doesnt even reach the xp boot up sequence. I have to take out the convertor and put it back to IDE and put 1st boot as ide-0 then it will work.ANy idea on how to make serial ata boot?

Pake said:

Really there is not point in getting 1gig other than brag rights and video editing.

If you still want 1gig of ram, maybe look into Twinmos or Buffalo. Grant it they are NOTHING compared to Mushkin and others as far as companies go, but they do get very good overclocks.

However, like I said, unless you do video editing or have the money to spare, don't get 1gig and instead, invest that extra $100 or so into something else.

There are some games that are real system hogs, and I would reccomend 1gig if you play em: C&C Generals, Doom 3[Multiplayer], Unreal 2. Actually that's it off the top of my head. Probably the newer MMORPGs like FF11 and such will be a system hog [the game is 6gigs!]. Also having dual channel and that extra 512 helps smooth out and speed things up a bit. If you're a performance freak like me you'll appreciate it. Other than that nothing too spectacular. Though I do plan on upgrading to 1gig in the near future.

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
Overcrocked said:
I heard that you have to install SATA with a fresh install of Windows. So have your disk ready and get your format on :D.

-Overcrocked

so you would have to press f6. to install scsi or raid drive? when your going through the blue windows xp setup?

Back