• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone tried using 3 DDR400 modules with NF7 or KV7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt6961

Registered
Well I am looking to upgrade from my KT400 KD7 to an NF7 or KV7 (the kt600), probably NF7.

Anyway, i've ended up with 2x256 corsair pc3200 XMS sticks from when i first got the KT400 (didn't read up on it much on kt400 back then and got the pc3200 for it). But i need to be able to run 1024mb DDR400, so I was planning on just picking up a 512mb pc3200 stick.

Problem is that when you check Newegg's product link's for both the NF7 and KV7, both specs say they only support 2 DIMM DDR400, but 3 DIMM for lower speeds.

I am asking this question because I haven't seen another brand with the same chipsets that says there is a restriction for how many DDR400 modules you can use, Abit is the only brand I see with this restriction.

So has anyone tried using 3 sticks of DDR400, I really like Abit's bios options so if i can stick with them and use the memory I have it would be nice. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I think that may work, just make sure that the new stick you buy is corsair and that the 2x256 sticks are in the first and second slot and the 512 is in the third. I'm not positive on this though, you could ask in the AMDMB forums or E-Mail Abit for a definate answer[if they respond]. Good luck.

-Overcrocked

I just checked the manual and it specifically says 400 for 2 DIMMS and 200/266/333 for 3.

khagan said:
I just checked the manual and it specifically says 400 for 2 DIMMS and 200/266/333 for 3.

The manual says a lot of things, but things change. The NF7 manual doesn't even indicate what revision it's for. I also doubt that it could hurt to try. Oh, and Matt; you will not regret getting the NF7 over the KV7.

-Overcrocked

thanks for the replies. I posted this same thing on the abit forums and got a reply from someone using 2x256 and 1x512 with the NF7

now i'm just wondering (hoping) that i don't have to get the same brand for the 512mb, XMS is $124 for pc3200, but i can get a 512mb HyperX PC3500 listed as the same timings for $117,

anyone know what i can use and still be able to get dual channel to work?

The limitations put on by ABIT and/or chipset manufacturer is so that they are not to blame if your memory will not run at 200MHz/400FSB on their boards when more than two or all DIMM Slots, some boards have four & still have this limitation, are filled because of the increased capacitance that results when populating more than the predetermined number of slots. You may be able to run at 200MHz/400FSB or higher by increasing the VMem to combat any capacitance issues.

Remember that part of the problem of increased FSB settings asides from memory quality & chipset is the actual routing of the traces. The shorter they are with the least amount of interference combined with clean power signal is just as important in the equation.

If you do decide to do it, I would seriously try and get a piece of Corsair ram. You should always have your VMem at it's highest rated by the manufacturer, which I believe is 2.9V [but I would double check that] for Corsair. Which is also the max you can set your NF7-S [without a mem volt mod]. It also doesn't matter if you get higher rated memory ie PC3500, because you are limited by the lowest level of ram in your system. So, essentially if you got a PC3500 DIMM it would only work as a PC3200 on your computer.

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
redduc900 sig/rig

CPU • AMD T'bred 2100+ AIUHB (0301MPM)@ 2.5GHz (218 x 11.5), 1.95Vcore OS • Windows XP Pro SP1 MB • Abit NF7-S v1.2 (2.2 Beta BIOS), 1.95Vdd Mod HSF • Thermalright SLK-800, Delta 80mm 80CFM Memory • 3 x 256MB KHX [email protected], C2.0-6-2-2 DC/Sync HDD's • 2 x Maxtor DM Plus9 80GB 8MB ATA133's RAID0, Sil 3112A SataRAID controller Graphics Card • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Cat3.8's@380/680 Sound • Soundstorm Case & PSU • Lian-Li PC-6099B, PCP&C 510 ATX-PFC

So you see it's possible;) You just have to figure out how to break some of the guidelines in the manual:cool:

oh i see about the rated voltage, i didn't know that about memory thanks for the info on it

was thinking about getting the 3500 for the not so distant future upgrades, so then i could still use the 512 pc3500, and just upgrade the PC3200's i have now

thanks for all the replies, i'll have to just give everything a try i guess and see what i can come up with, sounds like fun :)

Might as well try, you want 1gig of ram and you want some good 512 PC3500 so you might as well get it, give it a go. If it doesn't work oh well. You can exchange your 2 sticks of Corsair or sell em and get another stick of 512 PC3500 later.

-Overcrocked

Well ive got my system rock stable @ 235mhz with 3 sticks of ram in. Take a look at my sig to see what im currently running.

Only thing is with the earlier bios u can only boot with low speeds. Anything in excess of 205mhz would result in no boot, not even sirens :eek:

Thing is once u use the new bioses u are stuck without the proper use of multis 10/10.5. This is the reason im having to run at 235X9.5 which is a bit under 2.3ghz which ideally is where i want to run @ :rolleyes:

mongoled

if u get different brands of ram, you are prob tripling ur chances of being unstable. if u buy a diff company than ur other 2 sticks, at least try to see if they use the same modules on the ram stick as ur corsair ram

Back