• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the chipset on a P4P800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I'm just starting my Intel build and just got my p4p800. I plan on overclocking it pretty much as far as it will go but I'm worried about the passive cooling on the NB. How well does this work? Should I go ahead and get it a new active cooled one or not? Any input would be great, thanks.

which revision? do you have the black heatsink with ASUS written on it?
Im gonna change it to the zalman yellowish HS and add a fan.

you don't need much more. Just take off the stock heat sink, lap it, aplly as5 or as3, and stick a fan on it. You could get a tiger1 or that new swiftech nb hsf, but it wouldn't make much of a difference unless your nb is running realy hot.

Hi,

Recently I replaced stock CPU fan with a Zalman CNPS 7000. This fan is wonderful but its huge dimensions doen't allow me to stick a fan on NB. So, I took the older stock cpu fan and place it "near" the NB as close as I can. So now it is "sitting" on graphic card and bottom of it is almost touching to NB but top of it is nearly an inch away from the NB.

Do you think it will work? :cool:

wow that kind of scared me but you have a different mobo dude, we are talking about the p4p800.
Can you show us a pic of what you did?
I think it should work to some extent... not as well though, obviously.
Ritalin

Well, I thought that P4P800 and P4C800 has the same construction. Anyway, even they haven't, HSpartially-F is better than HS I guess( tough HSF would be better). You can try something too. I will send a pic soon.

Last edited:

switching from the crappy stock nb cooler to the swifty waterblock will probably make a pretty big impact. My friend couldn't boot over 275 with a p4p800 at first, then i put a fan on the nb. That got him to 280. Then I lapped the nb, and that got like 283. Then he switched to the swiftech air nb block and got 287 i think. Pretty big difference from stock.

Back