• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnP2k

I think this is the right section.

Specs:

Mobo: A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
Vid: Radeon 9000 Pro (ram/core oc: 350mhz)
HD: WD 80gig Special Edition (ATA 133)
RAM: 2 x 256megs of PC2700 Kingston value ram (2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7) Running in dual channel ddr.
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
HS: Thermalright SLK-800U (w/ vantec tornado 80mm)

My overclocks are horrible, I can't get a stable boot over 169FSB! Multiplier = 12.5 (for some reason I cannot make it lower, when I do it either doesn't post or it posts but sets the cpu freq. to 1280mhz)

vmem = 2.6 (any higher = no post)
cpu voltage (vcore i think) = 1.7 (probably should increase this, but I tried at the same time as raising to 1.75 the fsb to 170, no post)

Any ideas as to why I cannot OC very well would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am wondering how you guys are pulling off 200fsb! My goal is to hit at least 200fsb. I may have to try that "uber hacked bios" but i heard it doesn't work

Welcome to the OC Forum!

Looks like you have a nice set-up. In order to help you, please provide more information. What power supply/wattage and Bios revision are you using. I am concerned you are not able to change the multiplier. Have you read the manual and made appropriate change in bios settings to change multiplier?

In addition to including what kind of power supply you have like sniper.nkc said, also include your rails (most importantly the 5v rail), that can cause serious instability. Your ram is only pc2700, not all pc2700 (166fsb) ram can handle too much above its rated speed. It is pretty rare to find pc2700 ram that runs perfectly at 200fsb. Still though, you are right, 169fsb is a bit low. Also, include your temps just to make sure that has nothing to do with it. Hope that helps.

Matt

PS: Enlight 420watt

BIOS: 1005, there is an update out, I've been too lazy to flash :p

I doubt it's the ps (had an 300w enermax b4, but with a pally 1900 could oc to 140fsb, which is still horrible)

+5v rail: fluctuates between 5.00 and 4.97, sometimes 4.92
-5v rail: fluctuates between -5.17 and -5.20
+3v rail: 3.42 pretty stable (sometimes 3.41)
+12v rail: 12.48 (sometimes 12.42)
-12v rail: -12.48 (sometimes -12.42)

Avg. temp: 100 F

What would the appropriate change in bios be? I can change it, it just doesn't post when I do.

I've been running it OC'd at 2114mhz since I got the cpu back in august, it's been very stable which leads me to believe I can get more out of this sob!

Yeah, I was thinking my ram is the largest problem here, I have been planning to get a gig of corsair 3200 sometime...mainly waiting for the prices to go down more :)

why u mult by 12.5 and no vcore raise. that won't do it. try to reset the cmos and set 166 x 11 first boot. then try up 5 FSB and reboot.. raise vcore is u have no post then redo the step again. your barton should have no problem getting 200 fsb. Also.. your ram is holding u back. with your barton 2800+ u are easy put to 2400 up with better memory.

Well I can't change multiplier for some reason, I'm going to flash the bios later on and clear cmos and try again this weekend. I'm way too busy during the weekday.

Yeah you think it's the ram too, well that makes the 4 of us. I guess I really should get some new quality ram.

If anyone else has any comments, plz post so I know for sure that it's the pos ram.

Have you ever done a bios flash on that board before? If not, then most boards do need a bios flash for compatability with the Bartons, not sure if that one does specifically though. Try that first. It may also allow you to change the mult. Best of luck!

Matt

Your Bios automactically selected the correct 12.5 X 166 FSB for a XP2800+ Barton. Why you have not been able to increase your FSB speed may have to do with your bios/memory. You should go ahead and reflash your bios first to a newer version and try that. If updating the bios does not allow you to increase your FSB speed, then you have an issue with your memory. I have PC3200 and this will allow me to go to 400 MHz (200 FSB).

Ok, thanks for the help everyone, I need new ram anyway.

Not necessarliy the ram, i got 2x256 Kingston Value Ram PC2100 and it's running at 2.5-3-3-6 with 183fsb. I know it's pushing this ram but it's taking it. Im only at 183 because I'm stressing it and havn't hit a wall yet;)

Well, if it's not on user defined, I wouldn't be able to change anything ;)

I thought kingston could overclock better than it's letting me. Although I still have a few things to test (flashing bios, etc.) I still think it's the ram. I just tried something - I set everything to default and tried to see how fast I could get the ram and I could only get it to 171 at 2.8v (highest voltage available). The sticker says "2.5v" haha, but the lowest on my mobo is 2.6. I don't think I have a bad batch because I RMA'd the ram because my original batch was corrupted somehow, and this replacement works fine. Neither the corrupted ram or this replacement ram can oc very well. I still hate to have to buy ram, I don't feel like spending my money on ram when I still need to buy a car! But at the same point, it's nice to have a system OC'd to the max to get the most out of my money.

Back