• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s sata!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
i have an nf7-s and i want to use sata do i have to instal a driver to use sata from the cd that came with it or from the floppy that also came with it?

and when i instal everything where should i set my HD pin to ?
Master,slave ,cable select?with sata?

thanks

ps: is there a good southbridge cooler for nf7-s??

i have an nf7-s and i want to use sata do i have to instal a driver to use sata from the cd that came with it or from the floppy that also came with it?

If you are installing windows fresh on the drive, you will need to hit F6 when the setup program is first loading drivers (if you are using XP) and use the floppy disk. If you are using it as a non-boot drive, with a pre-existing install, I would download the driver from the abit website.

and when i instal everything where should i set my HD pin to ?

According to the instructions that came with the board, it needs to be set to master. It's amazing the amount of useful information they put on those sheets of paper they include in the box.

ps: is there a good southbridge cooler for nf7-s??

I cut up an old pentium heatsink to fit and used thermal tape to attach it. A heatsink like that should be easy to come by at a local computer store, and should be really cheap (maybe even free if you ask nice, the places I've worked at have had boxes of old sh*t in the back that they don't know what to do with)

my problem is with the southbridge cooler is that i have a Tt giant 2 videocard cooler on my card so it sticks out and takes 1/4 of the space of my southbridge chipset so either i need to cut it real low or need to find a low profile chipset cooler.

Thanks but i doid not quiet get the sata instruction when do i press f6? after i installed xp and put the driver cd inside??

Edit:

Go to the silicon image tech support website here: here

The readme file with the newest 3112 driver explains how to install it.

Last edited:
On the NF7-S do you really need to put a HS on the south bridge?
Does it get that hot? I mean really? I have 5x fans in my case and I would have to come to the conclusion that I dont need one but would it help something?

<-------a12bc3:cool:

If you have audio problem or lan problems a heatsink on the southbridge is often the solution. Many people have a crackle/pop problem during games from the audio that is essentially cured with a heatsink on the SB.

It does get hot... look at this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bubo/Southbridge/southbridge.html

that thermal image is from a non-soundstorm board (technically the 8rda+ is not soundstorm certified, so it shoudn't be using the SB for audio processing even though it is the MCP-T, I may be mistaken, but either way it is hot) and it is at 65C+. If your CPU was that hot you would turn your computer off.

kct2 what do you recoment to attach the HS to the southbridge?

articsilver alumina or AS epoxy??

First you have to ask yourself if you will ever need to get that heatsink off. If the answer is 'yes,' then don't use any kind of epoxy.

If you don't care about taking it off (and therefore no chance of an RMA, ever) then I think either would really be fine. Silver should transfer heat better, but it will conduct electricity, the Alumina isn't conductive. As long as you are careful putting it on, the conductivity of the epoxy shouldn't matter.

I used this, and it (with the aforementioned Pentium heatsink) solved a terrible audio crackle problem. They are showing it as back ordered. It turned out to be very good that I used the tape because I had to RMA my board after putting the heatsink on, and the heatsink came off very easily.

and when i instal everything where should i set my HD pin to ? Master,slave ,cable select?with sata?

If you are using a SATA drive, just take the pin off. When I set up my NF7-S up with my first raptor, it wouldn't boot no mater where the pin was set. I tried it without the pin & it booted just fine. I never could find any referance to using SATA drive in the manual that came with it.

kct2 said:

According to the instructions that came with the board, it needs to be set to master. It's amazing the amount of useful information they put on those sheets of paper they include in the box.

I should have specified, this is if you are using the SERILLEL2 s-ata to p-ata adapter.

i have an nf7-s board and i have a WD special edition 8mb 80 gig HD im gonna use sata serielle what is came with my board so therefore i don't need to use the pin? right?

For Western Digital drives, no jumper = master in a single drive configuration. I use no jumper on my wd1000bb with the serillel adapter.

Do we even use the cable select option any more? I seems that the only time we needed to use it was back in the old days with ata33 hdd. lol

<------a12bc3

Back