• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4P800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prok

Hello all. I just set up a new system:

p2.6c
512mb Corsair PC3200 Value Select (1 stick)
SATA Wd360 Raptor Drive
Antec 350w power supply
ATI 9600 Pro

and...
currently an MSI Neo2 Fis2r.

I didn't think that I would be doing any overclocking (that explains the ram choice)... but here I am trying to oc.

The Neo2 doesn't sem to want me to go over 250 mhz fsb so after reading a lot on the P4P800 boards I'm thinking about switching.
Does anyone know if my system will allow a higher (than 250) fsb with the P4P800? I don't know if my power supply is good enough or if the ram will be an issue, this might be why the neo2 won't go over the 250mhz. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
PSU would be my guess. Unless you have the mem at the 1:1
ratio in which case I would suggest the 5:4 setting for memory
speed.

2.4C SL6Z3

I have 2.4C @ 3.48 GHZ (12*290)

RAM 4200 Geil 4200 (4:4) 233, (2.5,4,4,7)

Power supply ANEC 480 Trupower.

I would recommend the ASUS P4P800 DX, it has ICHR5 Raid & only about $140 at neweegg.com, recommend the cpu from there too but it about &180 retail box. Get it has Mo stepping & will do 3.4=3.5 on air cooling.

:D :D :D

2.4C SL6Z3 new Mo Stepping

Yes, I am hitting (12* 290) 3.48 GHz w/ 1161 Bus (290*4)

Ram Geil 4200 (5:4) 232 (2.5, 4,4, 7)

Performance "enabled"
MAM "enabled"

CPU @ 1.67 volts, water cooling temps: 25C idle, 32C load
WD (2) Raptors in Raid "0"
WD 80 GB
NEC DVD Burner
Liteon DVD Drive

ASUS P4P800 DX
:D

Interesting. I'm just trying to figure out whether my RAM is holding me back. At first I thought that it would, but at DDR 333mhz it hits 411 mhz (with the fsb adjustment). Then I switch it to DDR 266 mhz and it's well under the default 400 mhz fsb but the results are no different. Upping the DDR voltage didn't do anything either.

But now I'm looking at everyone else's setup and it seems that anyone using higher rated ram like PC4000 can raise the fsb higher.

Any ideas on how to figure out what's holding me back?
Thanks.

You need a 400w min. psu to really run a P4 sys. oced. Both the cpu and DDR are power hungry pigs. I've got a P4p800 D w/ P4 2.4c and 1gb pc3500 260 fsb on a 450w. psu and there are times when I question if it's enough. Watch your voltage swings.

Do you know of some way that I can measure how much power the system is using? I don't know if there's a program... or if I need to put a multimeter to something.
Thanks

Asus probe is o.k. aida32 will tell you everything. cpuz is good. now that mother board moniter has a wizard it's easy all of these are free downloads. Sandra for some reason doesn't reaport my voltages correctly.

Hmmm... I see that these programs monitor voltages of ram and cpu... But is there a way to get the overall wattage the system is using?

If that is correct then all i need is a 275w! But thanks for trying, I'll try to figure out if it's the power.

Prok said:
If that is correct then all i need is a 275w! But thanks for trying, I'll try to figure out if it's the power.

Prok, you are correct! Most systems use well under what people think they are using. The real problem is that run of the mill PSU's don't accually supply the power they claim to. PSUs are kind of like amps, a quality 200W will kick the crap out of crappy 800W anyday. The same goes for PSUs.

The questions that you have reguarding your PSU can be answered in the Cases and Power Supplies section, specifically Larva's thread Will a XXX watt power supply run this?.

If your Antec was a "true power" I would say that it is definetely big enough. I'm just not sure if the regular Antecs have the same output.

If you have a multimeter test the voltage coming out of the PSU under load. If they're not dropping, it's probably not your PSU.

Also, what's the highest voltage you have tried on the CPU?

RideGuy

RideGuy said:

PSUs are kind of like amps, a quality 200W will kick the crap out of crappy 800W anyday. The same goes for PSUs.

i agree with u
i have MS psu 460w and enermax 300w
after one year MS was broken
enermax working till now :)

Hey all. I finally had some time to test my system with all of your suggestions. I don't think it's my PSU (Antec 350W Smart Power) because my voltages remain stable and constant: 3.3 V, 5V and 12V show almost no change whether my system is running at stock (2.6ghz) or oc'ed (around 3.3 ghz). The negative 12 volt seems to be around -12.5 V.

As for upping the CPU voltage... Yes it did help a bit. When the CPU voltage was at 1.6v I couldn't get higher than a fsb 258. I raised it to 1.7v and could get to fsb 262. Raising it to 1.8v didn't allow for a higher fsb.

I also raised the DDR voltage as high as 2.8v but I still wasn't able to get higher than fsb 262. It also didn't matter whether it was set to DDR 266 or DDR 333 - neither allowed for a higher fsb of 262mhz.

Whew!

I don't think it's the PSU. I can't help but wonder if PC-4000 ram would do the trick!
If I understand this correctly, running my ram at DDR 266 (still under it's default DDR 400 when fsb is adjusted) and getting no better results than when the ram is over it's DDR 400 should rule the ram out, right?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

Back