• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU too hot on 7N400 Pro2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naddie

2500+ Barton OCed to 3200+ (2.2 GHz)

Stock voltage (11x200). EasyTune says it's 71*C on heavy load (Prime 95). Is that accurate?

Sorry. It's a Thermalright SK-7 with Antec Reference Silver Thermal Compound.

The fan is just a cheapo 80mm 3-pin fan that spins at around 2500 RPMs (about right for a 80mm fan).

naddie,
I dont know how long youve had that setup, but it may be worthwhile for peace of mind to pull the hsf and cpu and clean up real good with isopropyl alcohol, repaste and reset.

How is your case cooling?

Actually, it turns out that the voltage was at +10%!!! I could have sworn I turned it back to normal. It is normal, now.

1.75v, and registering around 60*C under load.

Hope THAT'S normal. Prime 95 ran for 11 something hours, then errored out. Maybe anotehr +5% voltage may help?

naddie,
F.Y.I, im running my cpu at 1.85v, +7.5 and ram at 2.8v +02,
Highest my temps have every been is 55-56c.

I dont run prime, so I wont comment on that.

Yes, I applied thermal paste! Are you sure the temps are accurate!?

I have to up the voltage to 1.80v (+7.5%), and at full load P95, I was getting around 71*C!!! I had to otherwise it won't be stable.

Now, for the low temps - are HSF are you using?

naddie,
Seeing your last post makes me want to pull your motherboard from the case, pull hsf and cpu(cleaning both with isopropyl alcohol) also taking the time to clean the hs fan blades and fins or whatever you have.

Fresh layer of good quality heat sink compound, in the proper ammt and the hsf mounted squarely on top of the cpu die, while outside of the case.

Dont know if ive mentiond this here before, but ive seen and helped a number of users who did not recognize that the cpu socket is rotated 90degrees, and have put their hsf on wrong:eek:

For reference I have the coolermaster hhc-001 heatpipe, sanded with as3, and fan modded to spin at 7031rps, so maybe 2500 isnt enough?

Perhaps. I'll go ahead and yank the HSF assembly again and clean the die and HSF up. Then reapply the thermal grease.

wow... 7200 RPMs... 80mm? Must be noisy!

naddie,
give it a try, and depending on how adventurous you are, again I would suggest going to the trouble of pulling the mb(Youre never gonna be sure that your didnt smear the hs paste or not get the hsf centerd )with the mb in the case.

As for the fan, not really, tower sits beside the disk, 18" off the floor, I have to listen to hear any of the fans, and with background stereo, tv or something allways on it's not a problem for me.

According to a thread at amdmb the bartons are running hot on the pro 2 board. Under 60 is considered normal. One guy even modded his barton to run cooler. The other 1700+ seen to be good, just the barton is hot!

Funny my Barton 2500+ with a Giga 7N400 Pro 2 running with no overclock is 37°C idle with mbm/Easytune and 28.5°C with the sensor taped to the bottom of the chip.

For some reason I'm inclined to believe the taped sensor after reading all the posts how Gigabyte boards temp sensors are usually reading about 10° too hot.

Back