• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S RAM problems. Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

I was running one stick of 512MB Corsair XMS PC-3500 C2 in my NF7-S @ 225 FSB rock solid.

I purchased another Identical stick of RAM, installed it and everything seemed fine, but 3DMark 2k1, 2k3 and games would always crash to desktop. I tried relaxing the timings, lowering the FSB to like 210, using different DIMM slots on the mobo and tested the sticks individually.

I'm running single channel now @ 205 FSB, so far it seems stable. But it's pretty low for the type of memory I have. I can't go higher!

Anyone have any suggestions?

3dmark isn't the most reliable benchmark. Have you tried Memtest 86 or Prime95 they're a lot better for testing ram. Also, apparently it's harder to get higher FSBs in duel channel mode so maybe try 2 sticks without duel channel and see if that helps. Duel channel isn't worth losing 20 FSB, trust me. Also, if one of your sticks won't go over 205 and it's rated PC3500 then return it. If it's not doing what it should be Corsair is legally bound to give you one that does work at specified speeds.

-Overcrocked

I tested both sticks individually and they can both do 225+ FSB

When I put them in single channel, the comp wouldn't even post @ 205 FSB.

Strange huh?

Maybe a BIOS update will help.

I am getting the same 3dmark scores @ 200 FSB dual channel 2-2-2-8 compared to 225 FSB 2-3-3-8 with one stick.

which version of the bios do you have? try version 18.

what voltage were you giving the RAM?

There is the possibility that your two sticks just don't want to do more than 205Mhz in dual channel mode, but try updating your bios to version 18 first.

Haven't updated BIOS since I got like 3 or 4 months ago, but I will try that now.

Sandra is showing my BIOS dated 03/27/2003.
Anyone know which version that is?

BINGO!!

Installed BIOS 18, disabled that spread spectrum AGP/FSB % crap

Running 10X215 DC @ 2-2-2-8 Seems stable so far!

2X512MB Corsair XMS PC3500 2-3-3-8 (Not Twin-X)

Now I'm happy :)

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you got the issues in hand with the new bios upgrade.

AudiMan said:
I am getting the same 3dmark scores @ 200 FSB dual channel 2-2-2-8 compared to 225 FSB 2-3-3-8 with one stick.

DC performance gain does drop off with increasing FSB but it should be in the neighborhood of 6-8% at 220Mhz. Here is link to benchmarks I ran awhile back that shows results. As you're aware, your results will vary depending on your hardware and apps used to test but sounds like your results suggest similar performance gain over SC. :cool:

Well, apparently the BIOS didn't solve my problem. It became unstable again, even at 205 FSB.

So what I did, was I reinstalled WinXP (not a fresh install, just a repair install), made some minor changes in the BIOS and now I'be been running over 12 hours stable @ 217 FSB 2-2-2-8 DC!

I'm gonna push it to 220 and see what happens :)

Final stable result:

2 X 512MB Corsair XMS PC3500 C2 (Not TwinX)
223 FSB @ 2-2-2-8 Dual Channel, Stable in all tests!
BIOS 18

This RAM impresses me, since stock is 217 FSB @ 2-3-3-8 Single channel, and I think the mobo is limiting the OC singe I was only able to get 225 FSB stable with one stick.

BTW these are V1.1 modules if that means anything.

Looks like you're running a Barton on your NF7-S setup and a XP 2100 on your Asus rig.

The L12 mod applied to an XP cpu on the NF7 has helped some folks reach higher FSBs, you might consider it if you're interested in furhter investigation when you have time. But it would require changing 2 of your rigs.

I gained 6Mhz on the FSB of my rev2 mobo and others report up to 20Mhz. I would suggest the wire trick involving inserting a short piece of wire into the mobo's socket holder (where you place the cpu) to short two of the cpu pins. A search on L12 should turn up the threads here.

I would do that, but both mobos would have to be removed from the cases to get the HSF's off.

The HSF's don't bolt on, it's just that there are too many things in the way to unclip them with a screwdriver.

Either way, I'm happy with the results.

Back