• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatability ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from what i understand is that u can run faster ram on a slower board for example 3200 on 266 but ur board wont have the appropriate ratio between the fsb and the ram speed for example if u have pc2700 ram with your 266 then the highest it can run is 1:1 with the fsb which makes it run at 266(EDIT: if fsb is at 133). On the otherhand if your planning to overclock then all that makes not difference and you would be able to get higher fsb with faster ram. So yes it would work. Is that board pci/agp locked since it is nforce or do the 266s not have the lock?

Yea you can run faster ram in a slower motherboard, they are backward compatible. The RAM will not be fully utilized as it will not be running at its full speed or OCed, but I don't think you should have any problems.
I was wondering if the A7N266 had a locked PCI, this is an nForce(1) motherboard, and I heard somewhere that their PCI WAS locked, not sure about it tho. If its true, you can get the faster RAM and do some serious FSB OCing w/o worrying about HD corruption or PCI cards failing

I posted a reply to YE yesterday thanking him but it seems to have vanished! LOL

I'm not sure how to investigate about the locked pci.

I did just buy a lot of 2100 off of the classifieds and should be ok now.

Thanks again

Back