• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ecs k7s5a pro v5 wont boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

Hey get this
I just got my ECS k7s5a motherboard back from rma.
Well I gave them a ECS k7s5a non-pro I was really happy that i got USB2.0 now. I connect everything, And when i power it on, all the fans move, cpu, video card, pc powers up, but no video at all. No lights on keyboard, optical mouse lights up. Well ive tried two different cpus, xp1700+ and xp1800+, also 3 sticks on ddram and one of sdram, Geforce 2mx video card, Ati Radeon 8500 video card, and still nothing. Ive test the radeon in my older system and boots up fine. Comeon I cant be stupid or what? I have build tons of systems before. Whats wrong now? mobo still bad?

Please help me
Thank you

P.s Ive checked the cmos is set to normal mode

Have you tried to boot the board outside the case, maybe something is shorting out when it gets screwed down. That's about all I can come up with.

Mike

When I built a system for my brother using that mobo, if I had the modem in the first slot below the apg slot, the video wouldnt boot, moved it down one all is well...that board is really finicky but good once you get it going.

I have 3 of these boards and no problem. Clear the cmos with the jumper, put in one stick of known good memory, and don't hook up any floppy, hd, or cd. Power on and see what you get. You may have one of the afor mentioned media devices bringing the board down. If you get a post without a drive hooked up, add one drive at a time, starting with the floppy, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,it could be a bad drive, cable, or psu, or your new board could be bad. :(

Much like Jajmon suggests you need to use the k.i.s.s. method when troubleshooting. k.i.s.s. stands for keep it simple, stupid. I use it myself. In any case, use one stick of known good memory and your video card and nothing else hooked up and see if you get it to boot. This is about as basic as you can get. If it boots ok at that point then you can start putting in the other devices one at a time to determine where your point of failure is and if it is a slot irq conflict then you should be able to move it to a different one till it works. Good luck.

I agree with the K.I.S.S . This is a MUST do when a system boot is the problem .

I also found out with the Pro and non Pro boards that PCI sound cards are a BIG reason these boards will not boot at times .

So as everyone suggests here , try the minimal installed hardware FIRST , including disabling most of the onboard goodies where ever possible and go from there .

I have this same problem.

Mine was working with an 1800+ with just a cdrom hooked up to it. I put a duron 1400 in it which didnt post but i know it works. Put a 1300 duron in it, posted then shutdown and hasnt posted since.

Put my 1800+ back in and nothing. All three cpus work in other boards, fans spin just doesnt post.

Im going to spike this board into the ground later i think if it doesnt post with another 1800+.

Back