• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-g northbridge HSF replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyberwiz01

Ok here's the deal, my northbridge fan has been making funky noises over the past few weeks and it finally died on me today, so i am in the market for a replacement for it. What are your reccomendations for a good northbridge replacement. BTW I have the Zalman CNPS7000Al-Cu which overhangs the northbridge by quite a bit. What have some of you replaced your northbridge hsf with? I would especially like to hear from IC7/Ic7-g owners who also have the Zalman cnps7000 so i can be sure it will fit with my cpu heatsink. I would appreciate a quick response since i dont want to be out of commision for very long. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, my system is overclocked by 600mhz so northbridge cooling should be decent.

Last edited:
I also had this problem. I have the Zalman CNPS7000-CU too and I used the Zalman passive NB HS. It has just enought clearance running passive, but if you want a fan on it, you need to mount it off center.

Is that the original NB heatsink or the newer one? THe newer one looks like an orb cooler. THe older one was shorter and chunkier. I would suggest contacting ABIT about it. They will most likely send you a new NB cooler becuase I doubt that the warrenty is up for that board.

bchur83, which passive zalman cooler do you have? Do you have the blue one that has part of the top cut off or the yellow one shown in the post below yours?

Edit: BTW it is the older cooler, I dont feel like hassling with abit though, i'll probably just order something from svc. And that swiftec looks like some sort of mutant CPU heatsink. :eek:

Last edited:
here is a pic of my NB and CPU HS. I modded the Zalman with a TT Smart Fan II

hs1.jpg

hs2.jpg

Last edited:
If you are going to change the HSF, I recommend that you either bend the metal brackets, cut the Zalman ZM-NB32J a little bit lower, or superglue the hooks on the board. Otherwise they might fall of. Happend on my board, and many others have reported the same thing.

I added a drop of superglue around every hook on my board. Be adviced though, some people say the some superglues might get to the traces... (I don't know the word for it right now... :( )

crotale said:
If you are going to change the HSF, I recommend that you either bend the metal brackets, cut the Zalman ZM-NB32J a little bit lower, or superglue the hooks on the board. Otherwise they might fall of. Happend on my board, and many others have reported the same thing.

I added a drop of superglue around every hook on my board. Be adviced though, some people say the some superglues might get to the traces... (I don't know the word for it right now... :( )

Yeah that happened to me, I have lost one of the board mounts already, but i ground the sides of the HS down a little more since then to avoid losing any more mounts.

bchur83 said:
here is a pic of my NB and CPU HS. I modded the Zalman with a TT Smart Fan II

How, and why did you do that? I am interested because my stock Zalman fan started to make a strange slight noise after ~1 month.

Well I took my dremel and cut the 4 fan brackets, with small stubs on the fan side to mount it to the stock fan bracket, and taped up the wires to protect them from being cut by the copper. I then took the HS fan bracket apart by unscrewing the fan mounting bracket and removed the stock fan by removing the 2 screws. I then centered the smart fan on the bracket and tied it down with some zip ties. I routed the wires safely out of the way of the fan blades and screwed the bracket on the HS. Make sure it sits flat and doesn't hit the HS, and thats all there is to it. I will try to post some pics this weekend, I dont have a camera right now, so check back. Hopefully you can get the idea, let me know if you get it to work or if you have any other questions.

bchur83 said:

As far as the northbridge HSF I relpaced it just like this. Bent the 3 pins off in each corner, cut the high spots off then sanded it down with the dremel to a nice smooth finish on it. Its nice and snug to the chip and all with this mod I also replaced that fan ontop of the original northbridge and supergluded that to the top of the sink.

Mine seems to work great. But that clips have always been a concern of mine since I heard people had problems with this. It does have a little more tension then the orignal had on the heatsink it self. Any suggestions? How did you apply the super glue? On the front or back or both sides of the board?

So far I have lost one of the mounting brackets on there. As far as the super glue, I put the glue on all four sides, but since then the fan died, so I took it off.

Back