• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Temp...Probe??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzion

I have an extra thermosistor laying around and I figured why not put it to use. I want to be able to monitor my actual water temps in the rez if that's possible. Does anyone know if a temp probe is waterproof? If not, how could I monitor my temps?

BTW: I know I'm over pre-cautious but...I'd really like to see some water temps vs. CPU temps. Let me know if anyone thinks this will work.

The dipped "thingy" is waterproof, just don't let the wires come in contact with the water though.

And don't forget, CPU temps as read from the motherboard are usually quite inaccurate. Any comparison between your thermistor and CPU will be an apples/oranges comparison that can only be used for relative purposes. I.E. no calculating C/W, it won't be close to accurate.

Don't let me dissuade you. Relative values can be usefull for trend analysis.

Thermistors are generaly waterproof if encased in epoxy as most are. Dunk away.

Thanks guys. All of my CPU temp readings are done thru a seperate thermosistor hooked up to my digidoc5, no MB or Bios readings for me. That's the main reason why I wanted to try this, I have what I feel like is a very accurate CPU temp (probe on side of IHS). I wanted a equal quality water temp to compare too, I figure this is the only way I can get that.

Also, by monitoring my rez temps I'm hoping to see the efficency of my rad/fan combo. I should be able to see the affects on water temp as I add my GPU and NB block...well...hopefully.

I have what I feel like is a very accurate CPU temp (probe on side of IHS).

True it's probably better than the MOBO, but it's only an accurate (term used loosly) reading of IHS temp, not CPU temp. You still have a TIM joint in the way of accurate CPU temp. A TIM can skew readings 3-10C under actual CPU temps, which puts you in the same realm of uncertainty as MOBO temp readings.

If you really want to get nit-picky, how accurate is the Digidoc, the thermistors. When were they last calibrated? What is the variation of readings between thermistors? Are you taking into acount secondary losses?

The best you're going to be able to do with your setup is a relative comparison. Nothing absolute.

Last edited:
True, I don't need exact calibrated temps. A 4C difference is a 4C difference. That's all I'm, interested in.

My dBox case has 3 temp probes. #1 is placed under the cpu block, touching the side of the die. #2 monitors room air temp as it enters the radiator. #3 is dipped into the water in the resevoir, slightly submerged.

Usually my readings are...
Air temp = 24° ~ 28°
Water temp = air temp + 3°
CPU temp = water temp + 5°

Anyway, my sensor is submerged and works just fine...

heavy1 said:
My dBox case has 3 temp probes. #1 is placed under the cpu block, touching the side of the die. #2 monitors room air temp as it enters the radiator. #3 is dipped into the water in the resevoir, slightly submerged.

Usually my readings are...
Air temp = 24° ~ 28°
Water temp = air temp + 3°
CPU temp = water temp + 5°

Anyway, my sensor is submerged and works just fine...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Alternatively, you could use a copper fitting:
Fit it in your loop, and attach the probe to the outside of it.

A "1/2" copper joiner will be ~ 5/8" in diameter, but it's not too hard to work with.

Back