• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

athayer187

Alright - I have been working on my laptop watercooling pad for a little while now, and I got it working a little while ago. The main purpose of it is to keep the base of the laptop as close to ambient temps as possible, as well as to get rid of the heat that usually builds up there. As of now, I have no radiator in the loop, because the res is on my window sill and my window here at school doesn't really shut tight so there's a cool draft. My laptop fans never really come on anymore unless I'm gaming, which is a great improvement. I am using a temp monitoring program and my temps sit at about 50-55c with no fans unless gaming, which is a big improvement from the fans coming on every 5-10 minutes at 62c. Here are some pics:

laptop1.jpg

laptop2.jpg

laptop3.jpg

It is 1/8" aluminum sheet with a 1/4" copper tube running all through the middle. I used maple around the edges just for looks, and it sits on a large mousepad thing that I got and it fits perfectly. My res is a juice pitcher thing with holes in the top for tubes (the cord for the pump comes out the pourer). I am using an eheim 1000 submersable pump, and it is silent. If you have any questions, let me know.

Looks nice. Here's a question: Got any pictures of the work in progress?

nope sorry - no pics of work in progress. If you're interested in making your own, I can give you sources for materials. All I really used for tools was a drill press and a tubing bender. The copper tubing in the inside is snaked around as much as possible, with the inlet in the upper right and the outlet in the upper left. This is because in my laptop the processor is the hot spot, and it is in the upper right corner of the laptop.

Practicality? Let's be honest, there's an arguable amount of practicality overclocking and going to the lengths we do to achieve the temps we do. Why did I do it? Because I could.

OCing gives us performance gain. You cant possibly tell me that OCing 2.4c to 3.4c gives no practical results... Watercooling has many practical purposes as it enables you to 1. OC further, 2. reduce noise. 3. Bring down overall temprature of inside of your case hence enabling other parts to run cooler... There are many beneficial reasons why we OC and WC...

Back