• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I'm looking to put together a new machine. Doesn't have to be the fastest on the planet (nor most expensive). A few questions though.

Barton 2500 a reasonable match for the board? How do I know it's a Barton when I see it at a PC Fair?

Any problems installing Win2003 Enterprise? I have a free copy and might as well use it.

A review said the built in sound is noisy and the 8RDA+ has better sound. Sort of suprising considering it was supposed to be good sound. Any feelings on this?

Recommended PSU?

My uses will include lots of disk i/o stuff (large wav files and mpgs being downloaded and uploaded and burned - mostly bootleg concerts in SHN or FLAC format). Some conversion of analog tapes to digital. And, of course, a bit of time for games and such.

That said, SATA I suppose, maybe raid. The fast one, not the safe one. I'll do backups as needed for that. What is a good SATA drive for standalone or raid use? I read something about SATA corruption with this board. Is that something to fear?

Memory. Dual a good idea for this? Corsair and Buffalo seem like good candidates but are expensive. Do I need that for mild OC?

Video card. Likely to start with an old 32mb decent AGP card for now and I'll replace it when I can justify a better one. I can swap out the nice video card in my current machine (MSI 266 something running an Athlon 1800+) and use the 32mb one in that. That has the MSI 4200 or maybe 4600? I forget. The one without video input.

Ok. Thanks for any comments. There is a PC Fair in my area this weekend so maybe I'll do it then. But it isn't anything I can't wait another few weeks to do if I can't figure it all out by then.

Well, you're not going to find the 2500+ in anything BUT a Barton platform, no worries there. :) Buffalo ram, from what I've read, is fairly inexpensive. Depends on how mild you want to be? 2.2? 2.0? 1.85? In any case, I have the Corsair Valueselect PC3200, at $86 a stick it wasn't too bad.

If you're not going to be crazy overclocking or trying to run a cotton-candy machine off of your PC, then a generic PSU will be ample.

dgk said:
I'm looking to put together a new machine. Doesn't have to be the fastest on the planet (nor most expensive). A few questions though.

Barton 2500 a reasonable match for the board? How do I know it's a Barton when I see it at a PC Fair?
bartons cores are long and thin. check the sticky in the amd cpu section for barton steppings.
Any problems installing Win2003 Enterprise? I have a free copy and might as well use it.
Can't help with this one.
A review said the built in sound is noisy and the 8RDA+ has better sound. Sort of suprising considering it was supposed to be good sound. Any feelings on this?
rubbish. i love the sound on my board.
Recommended PSU?
enermax 365w or better, or antec 400w or better. i use the enermax 365w and its a great psu.
That said, SATA I suppose, maybe raid. The fast one, not the safe one. I'll do backups as needed for that. What is a good SATA drive for standalone or raid use? I read something about SATA corruption with this board. Is that something to fear?
i havnt used teh sata on my board, but it is still an issue. Thats why i chose to stay with ide
Memory. Dual a good idea for this? Corsair and Buffalo seem like good candidates but are expensive. Do I need that for mild OC?
Yes, go dual:)
Ram? twinmos, a-data or buffalo. my twinmos pc3200 will do 235mhz in dual channel, and is a good deal cheaper than corsair.
Video card. Likely to start with an old 32mb decent AGP card for now and I'll replace it when I can justify a better one. I can swap out the nice video card in my current machine (MSI 266 something running an Athlon 1800+) and use the 32mb one in that. That has the MSI 4200 or maybe 4600? I forget. The one without video input.
nvidia never made any 32mb gf4's (ti4200,4400,4600ect) that i know of. mabey it was a gf4 mx? (420,440,460)

I'd go with an ati card. I cant recommend you a card without knowing what you want to spend on one though.

Back