• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID question for P4C800-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ludivous_Kain

Anyone out there know how the Promise and ICH5R chipsets on the mobo work? Basically, I'm just trying to find out if I can hook 4 sATA drives to the ports on the mobo, and have all 4 in the same RAID0 volume. (A.K.A. a 4-sATA RAID0 array)

I know the P4C800-E supports 4 SATA drives....pretty sure you can run em all in RAID0. May want to refer to your manual or call Asustek just to be certain.

Will do. If it does, that'll be perfect, because I can get four WD Raptor drives running at once. That, combined with my massive OC I hope to achieve... My mouth is watering all ready. :D I can't wait for my mobo to come in. About how long does NewEgg usually take to ship a mobo, anyway? Ahh well.. Even if it arrives 12 hours after I place the order, it would still be 11 hours and 59 minutes too long. hehehehe

Newegg can roll over and die, for all I'm care now. I can't believe how IMPOSSIBLE they were to deal with. Never, in all my years of part orders have I ever been "blown off" as carelessly as this. After placing the order with them (which totaled $4173.29 USD) I got an email saying that the charge was made to my credit card. I never heard anything else from them. When I got annoyed and checked out their site for my order info, I find that the order was canceled. Seems to me that if someone was offering to buy over four grand worth or merchandise from ME, I'd go out of my way to complete the sale. I later found out that the reason it failed was because one single letter was wrong in my shipping address. ONE SIMPLE LETTER. there was an "E" where a "U" should have been. I hope someone from NewEgg is reading this, too, so they can realize just how horribly flawed their whole address authentication system is.
But I was patient, at first. I changed the address to be 100% exactly identical to my exact address. Then, I went to order things from NewEgg again. The prices of things changed, and not everything was available this time, so I placed an order for $3734.11 USD. Right afterwards, I recieved an email from them about the initial address check not matching. Once again, three days passed. I checked their site several times a day, and checked my email even more often. I even called them to make sure that things were correct. And yet again, THEY screwed me over. "Oh, yes, the order will be shipped by the end of the day" a lady told me over the phone. "The address authentication was completed successfully. A shipment tracking number will be to you shortly," a different guy told me when I called a second time, in the same day. Forgive my flames, but as far as I know, NewEgg can rott in their own filth.

Sounds like a bummer man

but i would rather deal with newegg then with 20 differnt pages off pricewatch

No exactly true

You can hook up 4 SATA devices, but only 2 drives per RAID array. That is 2 drives on the ICHR RAID and 2 drives on Promise. These will appear as 2 separate RAID arrays. There is no way to make all 4 drives into one RAID array.

Windows lets you create "virtual" RAID arrays through software, but the performance sux.

Back