• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for tips - Radeon 9800 pro watercooling!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amair_sc

Hello guys!

I am currently assembling a new system and I am thinking of cooling my gpu via water. I had a few questions and I know you guys know a lot more than me concerning w/c.

First off, I was wondering if there were any kits out there that were particularly good for gpu water cooling? I have noticed from reading many of the threads that swiftech looks like they have a nice solution; what is the best out there in terms of kits?

My other question was; pelt or no pelt? I realise the advantages of having one but am unsure if the perf difference is going to be worth the extra shopping/work, please let me know your thoughts on this?

Linked to the pelt question is this one: in the eventuality that I do get a nice pelt for my gpu do you think the pc&c 510 will cut it? I am leaning towards the no but I have been wrong before concerning things like this.

Please let me know your thoughts; thanks a lot for the help :) !

Here's a tip, if you have 1/2"ID tubing get the Dangerden Maze4 GPU, If you have 1/2"OD(3/8"ID) tubing go with the Swiftech MCW50.

They both are excellent, I personally use 1/2"ID 5/8"OD tubing so the Maze4gpu is what I will continue using, But they both are excellent products, both companies have excellent support. (AND BOTH THROUGHLY TEST THEIR PRODUCTS and it shows they did their R&D homework. ;)

Depending on the Tec you are thinking about if its a 120watt or less your PC Power and Cooling 510 should be sufficient, but a dedicated power supply is best.

As far as Kits both Dangerden and Swiftech sell excellent kits.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products.asp

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/kits.asp

For powerful TEC, you'd rather need nice block, like for CPU.
Imho, it's far better to have normal god GPU & mem cooling than TECing GPU and leaving mem.

Ven0m said:
Imho, it's far better to have normal god GPU & mem cooling than TECing GPU and leaving mem.

Both those blocks I suggested can easily handle a a TEC, and both are nice gpu blocks :cool:

Well, if it's your first time watercooling, I would stay away from TECs. If you can built a nice and efficient w/c, that would already be great. Adding a TEC not only requires an additional PSU, but also requires a lot of modifications to prevent condensation due to the fact you'll be working below ambiant temperatures.
Not worth all the assle to me.

Ok, so the maze 4 is a good block, I am reallllly considering the Tec route, might as well go all out and learn it. Keep the ideas coming, I will be selecting in 48 hours or so.

If I where to build one from scrach what would you recommend. I am thinking ehein 1250 is a given and you suggested some quality tubing a 1/2". What about the rad, and water chiller?

Thanks for all your great ideas!

Ven0m said:

If you've got a pelt on the gpu you won't need memory sinks. They will probably be a little cooler than case temp>> heatsinks on them would probably actually add heat to the card.

Romebaby said:

If you've got a pelt on the gpu you won't need memory sinks. They will probably be a little cooler than case temp>> heatsinks on them would probably actually add heat to the card.

This would require pretty powerful TEC to remove RAM heat through card.

Swifty does make 1/2 adapter for 1/2ID tubing... I think it comes down to which comapny you like better... I did hear that Maze4 is kindda heavy for the card but I cant tell for my self since I didnt test one.

With Radon 9800 pro ramsinks are recommended because you can easily OC your 9800 pro to run exactly like XT.. Perfect with watercooling

Woul it be possible to mod a D-tec TC-4 Revision 2 water block to fit a 9800pro, and if it is what would it take?

Ven0m said:

This would require pretty powerful TEC to remove RAM heat through card.

Just the 80 watt that comes standard with the mcw50-t. I used to run one, and although not cold like the backside of the gpu, the ram felt slightly cool. I've seen other people write that they observed this as well.

what about this?

9800pro1.jpg

It certainly looks nice but I always thought of WCing ram on video card as an overkill... Ramsinks will be fine. You wont get much further even with WCing rams. Plus all those 90 degree bends will seriously hurt the flow of the system.

ILikeMy240sx said:
Having a seperate loop just to cool ram on Videocard is just.... ehhhh not recommended lolz
Why? Having a dedicated w/c independant circuit allows to avoid using hot water from the CPU. This is what I do with my rig and I got good results.

i didn't notice there were holes near the ram hehehhehe now i know how to clamp down nasty homemade copper ramsinks on the vidcard ram

Back