• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 MAX Northbridge brackets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

I just recently decided to build a new machine, I didn't realize that the Northbridge cooler did NOT use two mounting holes.....those "Abit" clips rather. I dunno if I'm alone here, but I am having a helluva time mounting my D Tek chipset cooler so I have decided to have custom brackets fabbed up. If anyone has any input or is interested in a set let me know, as far as cost goes I have no idea what it is going to take. From what I have in mind I see it as being relatively inexpensive......just some cheap stock and a little machining. Here is what I am coming up with as of now:

The thickness of the horseshoes on the mobo = .027"
The ID of the horseshoes = .168" - .174"
measurements from outside to outside of the horseshoes = 1.922" - 1.930" (vertical readings with mobo positioned in case)

I was thinking .170" steel dowel stock with cuts roughly .040" (.027" reading) wide in each end...centered for the horseshoes of course. After that I was thinking of having a screw some how attached to this dowel. The block would then have somthing to fasten to that would be anchored to the mobo. Any ideas? If I had time and the "know how" I would attempt to whip this up on Illistrator. I really want to run 300+ stable on this mobo, make me feel like I got my moneys worth ;)

CYA!

Yeah I was thinking of doing that, but I was a little concerned with the weight of the block. I mean full of water it will be heavy, I'd much rathr go this route. I may try to actually attach the block via AS Epoxy and support the blocksomhow....dunno yet

Last edited:
Sell the block and run the stock cooler with a little Artic silver on it! If there's an issue with ATI cards @300 fsb and higher, and people seem to be getting 295 on air, what's the point? I know it's for looks, etc. I won't try to change your mind. I agree about the epoxy though, I don't think I would trust that with a copper NB block.
I didn't see anything on the AS website other than this - "Do not put undue stress on the connection until the adhesive has several hours to completely set."
These guys also warn about putting too much weight without any support onto a chipset with the epoxy: http://ocaddiction.devhardware.com/overclocking/cooling/222,1/
Either way, you wouldn't be able to get it off, right?

that 300 barrier is most certainly going to be fixed in future BIOS updates so I'm thinking ahead (at least I hope). Looks has NOTHING to do with it, performance is what I'm totally interested in....it will run cooler and more stable with water on it and since I already own the chipset block what the heck...it won't hurt. Yeah not sure about the weight ????? It's not going to be ready for the LAN party today so I am just bringing a regular machine, going to pick up SpeedDJ after class. :D

Last edited:
looks like im in the same boat as u. im on a mission to hit 3.6 with my 2.4c on air.so im in the process of modding a great big copper cpu cooler for my northbridge. i got some stainless steel dowels to make the attachments.havent figured out the configuration but if it works ill let u know....

Back