• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash the BIOS-no Floppy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
umm what motherboard do you have? and you really ought to use a floppy, do you not have a floppy drive?

Need to know what your motherboard is and might be able to flash via windows. Some computers nowadays don't come with floppies so you have to make a boot disk with a cd and include the new bios program just as if you were using a floppy.

Sorry, when I registered I thought it would display the computer stats I input. I have an Abit BH7 motherboard.
Thanks

some motherboards state that you should NOT use a floppy, and you should just cd to the file, it all depends on your motherboard

Flashing Without Floppy

First: Copy the Flash.exe and Bios copy to your local drive, for examples to C:\ ( C drive ). Just leave them there, and make sure the name of bios is less than 8 character. MS-DOS only recognised 8.3 format ( 8 character with 3 extension ).

Second: In motherboard's Bios setup menu, select the First Boot as CD-ROM, Second Boot Hard Disk, etc.

Third: Get your Windows 98 or Me CD-ROM or any bootable CD-ROM that loads into DOS mode. Don't use windows XP.... it doesn't work.

Fourth: Insert Windows 98 CD-ROM and reboot. The computer will boot the OS (DOS) from CD-ROM drive and you immediately select : Start with CD-ROM Support. Always!!!

Fifth: at A:\ prompt you switch to C drive by typing C: {enter}

C:\ type Flash.exe {enter}

And follow the instruction.

You are done.

I use this method 3 years for bios flashing VGA, Mobo, Raid. I don't trust floppy because of possible data corruption.

Back