• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone know where to get modded bios version 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardog50

I heard that somebody modded the version 10 bios for the NF7-S.
Does anybody know where to find it for download?
I also heard that you need to use a slightly different command line or two to get it to Flash down to the 10 version.
If anybody has any info Id really be happy to hear.

Thanx
Wardog

I think I found it

Iv been searching the web and found it .
Its at extremesystems.org.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20962&highlight=nf7*+bios

I hope the link works if not Ill try something else.

Also Ill try to use the windows flash utility.
If it works Ill post back.
If not well it might take some time get back then.

Anyway just briefly the different command is gone over.
But not very in detail.

I wantto make sure.

AULL BE BAUCK

Wardog

It looks like Ill be trying this one

It was further in the post then I had read When I posted here.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26057

Im going to read a bit more then give it a shot

Looks promising

Later

Last edited:
Well I tried to use the Abit flash utility for windows and it said it flashed but would not boot.
I tried 2 versions one is called version 22 which is suppost to be the good stuff from 10 and all the fixes for sata and whatnot from the later versions. It is a just a beta though (from Abit)
It wouldnt boot either though.
I suspect that the command line difference to flash the 10 is causing the problem and the utilityjust uses the newer flash commands.
Ill try to figure out just exactly what the command lines should be and then retrie in with a bootdisk instead of the Abit windows flash.

Later

Wardog

Listen guys to flash your bioses just use the latest version of flash menu from abit website

There is no need to type anything else to 'force' the flash. Just make sure you are not overclocked on fsb when u flash. If u really want to make sure just adjust your fsb to 100mhz be4 u flash.

There really isnt nothing to it.

Oh and one last thing if you got all three dimm slots full like i have i suggest u just use two slots for the flash.

mongoled

bios upgrade

make bootable dos floppy, ad bin and awdflash files, boot to floppy, execute flash.

this is the way i have been doing it for at least ten years. works everytime.

the Abit flash utility works fine too, i don't back off the clock to flash. if your system is stable at the clocked speed you run her at, it should take a bios flash no problem.

people who have bios flash probs with a clocked unit are having issues with the clock, whether they know it or not.

yes, to be on the safe side, running at stock is the prudent thing to do for flashing.

i guess it depends on your conjones. and i do have a spare bios chip, it does make OMG's a little easier to take.

clock on.

baldy:cool:

flash menu

Mongoled if you read the whole thread you would see that I used the Abit windows utility to flash(flash menu).
It did not work with either version I do not recomend it at this point.

There is a way to flash these bios versions with an altered command line in DOS as bldegle2 says and I would only recomend this after finding the correct variation.

The reason for this bios version is that it seems to help achieve alot higher FSB speeds than with the later versions.

Although as mentioned above until someone finds a definite fix DO NOT use Abit flash menu for the versions in this post.

I have used Flash menu on a few other versions with no issues however the 10 version DOES REQUIRE different commands so at this time it looks like Flash menu needs updated or the bios 10 revisions like the unofficial22 needs further revisions.

Ill continue the search but it will probably be tommorow before I can make another attempt. This time doind the flash from DOS.

Later

Wardog

need flash advice

O.K.

I need a little help from people who have forced a flash.

It seems that forcing the flash is the command difference.

So I need to know what the complete command line would be .

The motherboard manual says that the regular flash command should be this A:\awdflash se6_sw.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r

However to force a flash an /f needs to be added.
So should I just tack that on at the end of the other commands?

I read somewhere else that all I have to do for a command line is
A:awdflashYOURBIOSOFCHOICE.bin/f

Are either of these correct?

I have only flashed using the Flash Menu so any and all DOS flash info is appreciated.

Thank you

Wardog

2 wardog,

dude i read the whole thread be4 i replied. I cant explain y u are having problems but i dont think its right that u are drawing a conclusion based on your assumptions and putting this forward to other peeps not to use awardflash to flash there bios to earlier version.

There are many peeps who have sucessfully flashed the modded d10 bios with the method i described above. This is probably the reason why u are not getting many replies with your issue cos not many peeps have experienced what u are experiencing.

Everything i have read abt flashing this bios haspointed out that it must be done with the flash menu utility. I read a specific thread where I was told NOT to flash to the earlier bios using AWDFLASH. If u still insist on flashing with AWDFLASH then what u have wrote is correct.

Im not in a position to comment if the order of the commands makes a difference. Using commom sense i would say that the /f command would come in the beginning of the flash command. Also where u have written 'se6_sw.bin' and 'YOURBIOSFLASH.bin' simply need to be replaced with the name of the d10 bios you have in your possesion, dont forget the .bin at the end of bios name.

To finish this post i can only reiterate my experiences with flashing to bios d10.

1/ Make sure u are not overclocked. Set fsb to 100mhz.
2/ Make sure that the 2 references in the bios related to bios caching are disabled.
3/Make sure u are using the right bios! Just the other night a friend of mine flashed the wrong bios, totally corrupting it! I had to talk him through a force flash just like u have mentioned above.

Thats all i can say, really. Im sorry that u are having problems with the flash but like i said earlier i believe your assumptions should be posted in a more 'open' manner.

easy

mongoled

-EDIT-

Nowhere in your post do u mention what version of the NF7-S board u are using. the d10 modded bios is for Ver 2.0!! This is very important. Do not attempt to flash this bios on Ver 1.0-1.2 brds.

thanx

Ya sorry for not posting everything.
I have the nf7-s 2.0

The thing is I have flashed other versions of of bios for this board using the flash menu.
In all now I have tried three versions of the 10 without success with flash menu.
I have read in other forums in the couple of days sincetrying that others have the same problems.
Also Abit states on their site that once youve flashed to version 12 or higher then you cant flash back to 10 or 11.
However people are flashing using the awardflash by forcing the flash.
Iam in NO WAY trying to stear people in any a one direction.
I came here and started this post to find out how to do this.
Nobody had responded with a clear answer so I started trying stuff on my own.
I just dont want people coming up with a bad flash and having it be my fault.
So I am trying to find the safest surest way to do this.
I simply said that it didnt work in flash menu for me and that I would not recomend it at this time. Other versions have all worked fine though (16,18, and 19 I have done in flash menu)

I appreciate your help and interest and like I stated in my last post I have zero experience in flashing from DOS.
I would like to give it a try but I dont understand what the command lines are or what they should be etc.
Is there something that explains this somewhere?
I have read a few guides but they dont actually explain what the commands are or what they do.

Anyway sorry if I was rude or sounded as if I was misguiding anybody.
Thats not my intention, I just want to find out how to do this force flash in DOS.
It could be that the flashmenu will back flash to 10 for most or all people it just didnt for me.
So now Im stuck with the DOS method.

I do unclock and change the bios cache settings also.
Could there be something else Im missing?
Ill try uninstalling and reinstalling the flash menu tonight.

If that doesnt work Ill try a few variations of DOS command lines that you set as an example in your post.

Im just a little nervous about doing a DOS flash.
Thanks again
Mongol

later
Wardog

Hey, Mongoled - could you provide us with a link to where you got *your* modded d10 BIOS from? The one you can flash with AWDFLAsh in Windows?

Are you tw0 using the same BIOs file?

My ABIT NF7-S rev 2.0 should be arriving soon, and I want to be prepared ahead of time by getting this d10 BIOS. (I also bought a BIOS savior device - so if a flash messes up it is no big deal - if you want me to do some testing of the "beta" BIOS just hit me with a link to *that* file and I will try it out for ya)

my mobo?

I tried lastnight to flash in DOS and the results were the same. It says that it flashed fine but it wont post after that.
I think I will try again tommorow with an 18 or 19 version to see if that will DOS flash properly.

I might have gotten bad bios downloads although I doubt it, since two of them came from the Abit sight (version 10, 22beta)
The other 10version was a hacked version and may have had conflicts or errors.

Anyway I ended up using Flash Menu to flash to 14.
I heard that some people were getting higher FSB speeds with this version too.

Possibly there is a hardware conflict with something in my machine. I will disconnect everything I dont need to post or flash and try again with the version10.

Later
Wardog

I had this problem in the past.. i couldnt do a DOS flash back to 10.. I finally figured it out by flashing with the Abit windows utility.. i believe.. I remeber it was a bish though.. Might of had to flash to the 12 first.

I used flashmenu120.exe.. There may be a newer version out now that wont let you do it.. If so let me know and i'll email it to ya.. just send me a PM with your email.

Also try reseting the CMOS jumper.. Ya might of already done that though.. Also it might be some stupid CPU setting in the 10 bios thats preventing it from posting after the flash.. So like i said reset the CMOS jumper and pull the plug on the computer and press in the power button a few times to drain the power and then connect the power cord and see if it will post... Could be some setting left over from the other bios.

known killer

Hey known killer

Ill try the 12 first tonight or tommorow and see if then I can go back to 10.

Did you see a difference in performance after it was all said and done?

I hope so, cause this has turned out to be real chore.
It seems like most people are not having the same problems as the rest of us.

Bower
It depends when your source recieved it and whether they update before shipping.
I got my 2.0 with bios 18 in it.
from excaliberpc
but now you might get 19.
It just depends when they recieved before shipping to you.

Knownkiller
If it doesnt work Ill PM you too get the other Flash Menu.

Thank you
Wardog

Did you see a difference in performance after it was all said and done?

Well i've never tried a modded 10 bios.. But yeah. With 10 i was able to achieve a higher FSB in single and DC.. Wtih anything above 10 i couldnt even boot past 220FSB with 10 i could go as high as 230.. after doing a mod to my 2100 TB B corce(Changing it to a 333 from 266) i was able to boot up to 240FSB.. Though only 234 in DC.

Though heh.. I havent touched the system in over 4 months since i've got married and moved.. Right now i'm using an older system that is my spare cause i left that system at my parents house cause it still needs a few more days of work on the custom case/water cooling mod i was in the middle of completeing... Can you believe that i spent over 600 dollors total on the mod and i've never been able to fire it up and test it? hehe.. Pretty bad. Cant wait to get back to it though.. Only a few days of work and i should beable to assemble it.

I bought a brand new Abit NF7-S v2.0 since i've killed a few doing a NB volt mod.. so i have an untested board and 2 sticks of 512MB Mushkin level 2 3500 CAS 222, w/ new Danger Den water blocks all around ect..

I was getting a 2100+ TB B core to 2500Mhz on air before w/a 220-225FSB in single channel.. DC was fun to get runing.. i think i went threw about 3-4 boards till i finally gave up and went water cooling.

10 bios was all i would use. i've tried all the others up to 18 at the time.

Back