• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 big NF7-S R2 problems. Help before I break it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brywalker

I have a NF7-S R2 with a new 2600+ Barton. 2 x 512MB DDR. 1.9 Bios.

1) The HDD LED flashes every other second. I need to know if there is a fix, I don't want my drives getting thrashed like this. Maxtor 80GB on IDE1, master, no slave.

2) At a cold boot, my CPU speed settings are not applied. If I enter the bios, they are set up correctly, but I have to save again if I want it to boot at the correct setting. I think that this may be due to the fact that I have a video card that displays the bios before the motherboard does. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is really annoying and it has been very hard getting this system working the way I need it to. Very close to ditching the whole system and going with something else. Its killing me.

Thanks.

<more>
It is DMA Mode 6, I tried it with the Microsoft and nVidia IDE drivers. It did it on first boot of the reinstall. It really sounds like a hardware thing, BIOS maybe?

With the hdd's getting thrashed, I had a problem like that with my old 8k3a but it was not the hardware it was a software problem, it was constantly writeing and grinding away, how did i fix it? lol I formated and started over and it was gone.

I dont know for sure if thsi is your problem but it was mine.

Chad

*Edit* Ok i see you tryed a reintal and it didnt work!

Yeah I have narrowed it down to the way this system is handling the ATAPI drives.

When they are unplugged, it stops. If I do one or the other, master or slave it does it again.

I have done everything in the BIOS related to IDE, and tried all different nForce drivers and the MS one too and it still does it.

I highly doubt that no one has experienced the same problem. I have an Optorite DD0203 DVDR and a LiteON LTR-24102b installed.

It did it on the first boot of each install so I know its not an installed software problem.

Sorry I carnt help ya there champ, bios aint my specialty :(

I tell you what though, you should maybe check out Abit USA forum, that will narrow the search down for NF7 problems.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/

Hope this helps you :)

Chad

skinart said:
With the hdd's getting thrashed, I had a problem like that with my old 8k3a but it was not the hardware it was a software problem, it was constantly writeing and grinding away, how did i fix it? lol I formated and started over and it was gone.

I had a virus that did the same thing, it also filled up the RAM and all I could do was to format

but with Win XP the HDD led flashes evey now and then (Pagefile)

Originally posted by brywalker
2) At a cold boot, my CPU speed settings are not applied. If I enter the bios, they are set up correctly, but I have to save again if I want it to boot at the correct setting. I think that this may be due to the fact that I have a video card that displays the bios before the motherboard does. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ok... well all mobos show the 3d card bios first. Here is the order the computer boots up
1 Detecting CPU
2 Initializing Chipset
3 Detecting Memory
4 Testing VGA BIOS (this will show information about your VGA Card)
5 Initializing CPU (this will show information about your CPU)
6 Initializing HDD Controll (will show information about your HDD)... and so on

99.9% of the mobos has this boot up sequens

Back