• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange nf7-s 2.0 VDD problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zachsss626

Registered
Before anything else, I've taken care of northbridge cooling (up to 1.8v at least). The chip is lapped.
Anyhow, I tried doing the vdd mod with an smd grabber, linked to a cermet pot, grounded in a motherboard screw hole with an eyelet. For some reason, at the measurement point under the capacitor, I would get 2.15 volts about a minute after I installed the vmod. So I took it off, thinking it was the smd grabber causing a short. Today, when I lapped the northbridge, I figured I'd do the vdd mod properly as long as I had the motherboard out of the case. So I soldered it up, properly with 30ga wire to the same cermet pot and with the other end soldered to that same screw hole. Once I put everything back together, I fired it up and thought I was out of the woods... clean POST and vdd (measured from the point under the capacitor as per http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?13.255 ) at 1.85 volts. So I finished putting it all together, got back into windows, and it froze after about 5 minutes. So I went back to the bios to decrease the cpu speed (this is a common problem for me, all I have cooling the cpu is an ax-7 with a vantec stealth) and while I was at it, I checked the vdd again to make sure it wasn't that that was causing my stability problems. This time it measured 2.15 at the point under the capacitor. Wondering how much longer the nf2 could take >2 volts, I checked at the other point for good measure. It was perfectly in range at 1.69. I raised the resistance on the pot, and currently from the leftmost point I'm at 1.53, and from the point under the cap I'm at 2.02. These are supposed to be different by less than .1v, not by almost .5. I've done the vdd mod on a few other nf7's, and none have had this issue. I figure the board would have died by now if there were really 2.15v going through the chipset (god knows how long it was there before I caught it last time, and the nb wasn't even lapped then.) Has anybody else had this problem? Any idea what it could be?

i have this exact same problem. except its been on 3 nf7's, not just one. i have no idea why though.

Back