• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baffled! A7N8X-deluxe-rev2,BIOS doesnt show power/chassis fan speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
My mobo rests in an Antec Sonata Case.The chassis fan is not connected to the mobo but directly to the power connector.

I initially connected the lead of my power fan to the connector shown in the manual for this purpose.Then BIOS hardware monitoring system used to show power fan speed but asus probe used to show chassis fan speed(same speeds)

I thought probably I had connected to the wrong connector and therefore connected my power fan lead to other connector marked as for chassis fan.

Now bios Hardare monitoring showed neither power nor chassis fan speeds but asus probe showed power fan speed.

Again changed back to the original.But now Bios doesn't show either of the two but asus probe shows chassis fan speed.

I am BAFFLED.What may be the reason? Please help!

We all have experience this, PS Fan speed is correct in bios, but Asus probe shows chassis fan speed. Just the oppposite!. There is no answer that I am able to find. I am sure Asus is aware of this and will soon be coming out with a fix. Not sure why your bios is not reading fan speeds anymore. Are you OC? Have you default your settings to see if readings return?

no improvement.

Thanx Sniper
Yes my system was overclocked.I did as suggested by you.I set BIOS to default values and booted up the system.No improvement.Still BIOS doesn't show any of the chassis fan or PS fan speeds.
I checked ASUS probe.It is again showing chassis fan speed.
Now i have again overclocked my system(Not much,1700+ at 1750 MHz)to its previous value.
BTW I forgot to mention, I had updated the firmware of my ASUS 52X CDRW while I was OC. Can this have any bearings on the result?
Any answers?

I am not sure about your firmware, but if your chassis and power fans are below 2500 RPM. the assus probe and bios may not read speed. I know there is a minimum speed requirement to display RPM.

Sniper.nkc said:
I am not sure about your firmware, but if your chassis and power fans are below 2500 RPM. the assus probe and bios may not read speed. I know there is a minimum speed requirement to display RPM.

Yeah, the limit in asus probe is 650 RPM.
Antec SONATA PS has temperature based PS fan speed control which makes the RPM of the PS to change with temp.
What is intriguing is that the asus probe shows all the variations in RPM also.

Now I am sure that waht asus probe is showing is not the chassis Fan speed but the PS fan speed.But how it is showing without it being shown in the BIOS?

Can you or some other kindly soul throw some light on this?I live in a place where there a not a chance to get the answers to such seemingly simple questions within a hundred kilometers.

Try using one of the fan plugs on the motherboard itself - these read RPM perfectly fine for me (or they did, before I traded my board for an ABIT! :D)

As you said that you already tried two ports - you may just be outa luck.

It doesn't really matter so long as you have ASUS Probe reading the correct RPMages for you.

As an aside - there are three Fan plugs - a CPU one, a PSU one, and a CHASIS one. You should try all three (The CPU one is located up to the above right of the CPU Socket - the other 2 are above the AGP slot).

felinusz said:
Try using one of the fan plugs on the motherboard itself - these read RPM perfectly fine for me (or they did, before I traded my board for an ABIT! :D)

As you said that you already tried two ports - you may just be outa luck.

It doesn't really matter so long as you have ASUS Probe reading the correct RPMages for you.

As an aside - there are three Fan plugs - a CPU one, a PSU one, and a CHASIS one. You should try all three (The CPU one is located up to the above right of the CPU Socket - the other 2 are above the AGP slot).

Actually , it worked initially.But later on bios stopped showing.
And CPU fan socket is clearly marked ,CPU speed is available in the bios hardware monitor.
Now asus probe gets info through bios so bios should also show the info , shown by asus probe,right?

Two different sensors. Bios reads Die-Cast diode. Assus reads heat just below CPU. I would reset CMOS first to see if Temp readings return in bios. If not, flash your bios again. This should solve your problem with clean load.

I found some fans don't support this program, and one actually had 2 wires on the plug crossed. I just had the fans tested in the shop before i bought them and the problem went away.

Back