• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i upgrade or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gakkuken

after seeing so many good stories and oc ability of those new 2.4C chips, and the powerful 875/865 chipsets, i got very tempted to upgrade my system....

i know there are a few problems w/ the new 875/865 chipset w/ memory...etc so, here is the question i need help with... should i upgrade or not... here is my current pc spec:

Intel Pentium4 2.0A "SL5YR" [email protected]
ABIT BH7 i845PE
Corsair XMS PC3500 512MB
Gigabyte Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB

i picked up a pair of GeIL PC4000 1GB Dual Pack... probably not a very good choice... but oh well....

i guess my only concern is the new 865 chipset have those 3:4 dividers or not?

I think the 865 chip have 3:4 divider, my IC7(i875) does.

I see no reason for you to upgrade if you can run at 3.4Ghz daily. You wont get much higher vith a 2.4C unless you use Vapochill/prometeia. Wait and see what Prescott can offer us.
Yes, you would get HT and dual channel but the difference is not big at all. I moved from a 2.4B @ 3.1GHz on a Abit IT7 to a IC7 and a 2.4C and I must say I regret it a bit. But the nice thing now is the GIGAlan and also dualchannel which gives a nice boost in benchmarks.

unless you really need to upgrade, i dont see why the mobo u hav now needs to be changed. unless something breaks or becomes really obsolete, u dont need to change it. you dont need the best of everything :)

There are several advantages to upgrading your mobo to the i865/i875 chipset. You'll get dual channel DDR (which does significantly raise memory bandwidth), 8X AGP (not sure how much this helps yet), sometimes a higher overclock, lots of added features like SATA, RAID, 2.0 USB, etc. Is it worth the extra money? You have to decide that, but I would make sure any upgrade will support the first generation Prescott CPUs that are due out in a couple months so you have an upgrade path.

thx guys for the reply, since those 865/875 have 3:4 dividers, i guess i will take a chance to upgrade the mobo alone. just hope my dual pc4000 geil will be enough for now...

is there 4:5 divider on 865/875 chipset?

thx for the input!!

gakkuken said:
thx guys for the reply, since those 865/875 have 3:4 dividers, i guess i will take a chance to upgrade the mobo alone. just hope my dual pc4000 geil will be enough for now...

is there 4:5 divider on 865/875 chipset?

thx for the input!!

Yes i think there is, but not sure, can report back when I know.

Here are the available memory ratios on an Abit IC7... 3:2, 5:4, 1:1, 4:5, and 3:4. But, if you're getting the 2.4C, you'll never use the 3:4 ratio, that's mainly if you have a 400 bus CPU and good memory. The only time you could even use the 4:5 ratio with the 2.4C is at default 200 FSB with PC4000 RAM.

thx batboy; any idea if the p4p800 will have those setting as well?

thx

I think the Asus has similar ratios, but I'm not positive. I do know Asus has 3:2, 5:4, and 1:1.

I have seen the light in regards to the new chipset.Just built a new 3 GHz for my uncle using the 875.Seems the 800fsb and dual channel memory works great.Loads some apps twice as fast as my [email protected] using pc 3000.This is with only a 300 MHz increase in cpu speed.Made me wanna cry :(

Back