• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some antifreeze/corrosion questions.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Alright, regualr car antifreeze will work just as good as the antifreeze you buy from like D-tek or a watercooling sore, right?

Also, how much should I use to prevent corrosion?

IT looks like the aluminum anodized top, isn't quite anadized well.

So, I need to use some. I was thinking like maybe 15% ?

yes regular car AF should work but the fav around here seems to be dex-cool. i use the regular green stuff but if you could have a problem with corrosion i'd use dex-cool. 10%-20% should be fine

Yes, the antifreeze you buy from your auto parts store is the same stuff you buy from DTek. I would recommend buying Dex-Cool, which is the extended life antifreeze, good for 100,000 + miles.

Use about 15% antifreeze with distilled water, and check it after about a month. You'll see if any corrosion is starting. If so, go with about 20-25% antifreeze.

dex-cool owns ;). i use 25% dex-cool with distilled water and no corrosion with my anodized aluminum top from WW. i bought a big bottle of it (enough to refill a 1 litre system about 15 times) for 9 bucks with tax.

NeoMoses said:
Yes, the antifreeze you buy from your auto parts store is the same stuff you buy from DTek. I would recommend buying Dex-Cool, which is the extended life antifreeze, good for 100,000 + miles.

Use about 15% antifreeze with distilled water, and check it after about a month. You'll see if any corrosion is starting. If so, go with about 20-25% antifreeze.

If I just use the regular stuff, and replace it every so often, it should still work ok though, right?

sandman001 said:

If I just use the regular stuff, and replace it every so often, it should still work ok though, right?

It should be fine as long as it has anti-corrosive agents in them. As soon as you start to see your tubes getting discolored just flush the system. But would you really want to do that?

Its kind of funny that the computer water cooling guys like Dex Cool, yet its probably the single most hated coolant in the automotive world. Do some internet searching on dex-cool and search words like "sludge." Something to be aware of, however, please form your own opinion...

Mark

Dex-Cool is very good when used properly. If you look at GM service bulletins, you'll see that there is a problem if you do not check your fluids and allow your car to run abnormally hot for about 30,000 miles. But, if you check your fluids and don't abuse your car, there are no problems.

Luckily for watercoolers, a WC system will never reach the temperatures necessary to cause any problem similar to this, and we can still take advantage of Dex-Cool's great corrosion protection.

If you already have some standard life antifreeze laying around, it will work OK. If you are going to buy some, though, just get Dex-Cool. It's roughly the same price and works better.

Not relevant to computers...

Well in automotive world.. you dont actually flush/refill your cooling system that often. Most people will even go as far as 100K miles to change their anti-freeze so longevity of your coolant is very important in automotive world...

In performance world, most people run their car in high RPM range, therefore protection against heat is very important so they would rather have antifreeze that perform well under abnormal conditions maybe thats why Dex-Cool have bad reviews..

In computer world... It really doesnt matter ;)

NeoMoses said:
Dex-Cool is very good when used properly. If you look at GM service bulletins, you'll see that there is a problem if you do not check your fluids and allow your car to run abnormally hot for about 30,000 miles. But, if you check your fluids and don't abuse your car, there are no problems.

Luckily for watercoolers, a WC system will never reach the temperatures necessary to cause any problem similar to this, and we can still take advantage of Dex-Cool's great corrosion protection.

If you already have some standard life antifreeze laying around, it will work OK. If you are going to buy some, though, just get Dex-Cool. It's roughly the same price and works better.

Alright, what I wanted to know. Thanks.

In an automotive system, a 50-50 mix is good to 230+ degrees F with about a 2x corrosive restistance factor built in. For cpu cooling temps, a 25% antifreeze to 75% water mix should be plenty. Good luck.

KK

i got some prestone antifreeze that says "GM Dex-Cool Approved" and its orange... is that dex-cool?

also, if im using no alum in my system, is dex-cool still the one to get?

poMONKey said:
i got some prestone antifreeze that says "GM Dex-Cool Approved" and its orange... is that dex-cool?

also, if im using no alum in my system, is dex-cool still the one to get?

Yup, you've got Dex-Cool. It's just a GM standard for coolant, many different companies make a GM Dex-Cool approved antifreeze.

You can still use it if you don't have aluminum, it won't coat everything in your system like water wetter. A 25% mixture is recommended for corrosion protection, you should be fine with a lesser concentration if you have a copper/brass system.

so i guess i have to change out the tubing that has water wetter all over it and flush out the system the is coated as well, huh? cuz it is coated!

Back