• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plans for external watercool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dris

plans.jpg

alright as you can see i plan on useing a submersable pump and about a 1 gallon reservoir. the tubes go through a 80mm blowhole on the top which i put in a while ago and i thought it would be fine to take the fan out and run the tubing through there.

alright my question to you guys is:
what pump would you reccomend for this?
-i would like have the option add a gpu block and northbridge block to this in the future without buying a new pump.

would you put this under the case? if yes which pump would you reccomend.
-my case lies on a shelf above the floor about 8in.

If you are going with a submerged pump.. Danner Mag 3 is good maybe even 5. Its cheap and good performance. Does break often for some people but since its underwater it shouldnt matter that much.

I don't think it really matters wheter you put the extrenal setup under or top of the case. do whatever is easier for you. I think top would be easier...

Also, My intuitiveness tells me that the inlet of the res should be on top... It just seems correct that way. Correct me if im wrong.

i dont know i havent ordered anything yet i am just planning and shopping. i think i am going to get this radiator and this waterblock. but i am not sure about the pump yet. thoose danner's look good.

That setup will gernerally work.

IMO the only situation where you should be using a res would be in bong cooling. A res in a closed flowing system will not offer no real advantage over a t-line.

The question is, how many water blocks do you plan on having, and what type of rad will you be using.
You need to ask yourself these questions before you can select the proper pump.

well i am going to start with a cpu block. then in the future i am planing on adding 2 more blocks (nb, gpu) and i dont want to buy a new pump. so i guess its considered as 3 blocks will be running off this pump i want to get. and the radiator i am planning on is the black ice xtreme (linked in the other reply).

dris said:
well i am going to start with a cpu block. then in the future i am planing on adding 2 more blocks (nb, gpu) and i dont want to buy a new pump. so i guess its considered as 3 blocks will be running off this pump i want to get. and the radiator i am planning on is the black ice xtreme (linked in the other reply).

In that case go with a Mag 5. Its not THAT much of price difference.

Why not go with a single-pass heater core (double-pass will do) instead of buying a PC radiator? It seems like you will have plenty of room since your setup is external

Nice choice on block but if you want the best and have the four mounting holes get the Whitewater. Also for the Rad get a 1986 Chevette Heater core use two shrouds and 2 120mm fans.

Whitewater(which is made by D-Tek) is infamous for horrible base. It you are fine with lapping and what not then go ahead and order it. Given the fact that it has an awesome base it will perform better than most. If not... ah well

Nice choice on block but if you want the best and have the four mounting holes get the Whitewater. Also for the Rad get a 1986 Chevette Heater core use two shrouds and 2 120mm fans.
i do not have the mounting holes.
i wont be able to fit 2 120mm fan rad in this thing. but i can redesign it so i can fit it. but i think the one i talked about earlier will be fine because i have a bigger resavour which wont heat up as much.

The price seems pretty high... Why not try MCW5002-A sold at www.directron.com I think its 49.99
i want to get all the parts from one place 3-8 dollers doesnt matter to me.

if you plan on keeping your comp on for longer than an hour or less, 1 gallon of water will get as hot as the water in a "T-line" setup. and if you put a Mag 5 IN the water too....
since your going with a less restrictive CPU block, a mag 3 should do, even with 3 blocks. IMO
as for the rad...if your going to cool 3 chips AND your pump, you better plan on a BIG one with many fans. IMO

welcome to water cooling!! (no mater what you get youll want to change it so...:) )

alright then here is my new design.

plans2.jpg

with 4 120mm fans 2 on each side(push/pull)

edit: what would you reccomend for a radiator and where could i get it?

Last edited:
anyone know how well the Thermochill HE120.3 performs for watercooling? (besides the review from BillA) it looks pretty good, i might get one for myself. think the thermochill would perform better than a chevette heatercore w/ 2 fans?

anyone know how well the Thermochill HE120.3 performs for watercooling? (besides the review from BillA) it looks pretty good, i might get one for myself. think the thermochill would perform better than a chevette heatercore w/ 2 fans?
i dont know i read some reviews but i forgot the sites. do a search for it on google.

alright here is a pic of the box with dimensions. with the tubing how i plan to do it.
box-dimensions.jpg

is it fine to run tubing through water or will it decrease flow or something?

what water additives would you reccomend? i was thinking water wetter would work fine, and i am going to get some uv dye.

Watter wetter can discolor your water... it gets ugly. People here seem to go with Dex-Cool but any anti-freeze with anti-corrosion angents will do.

Try to make the tubing as short as possible if you can. it will help your flow so have the pump in front of the res insetead of all the way in the back would help. As for running it under water it shouldnt matter. Have you looked at single-pass heatercores? It will perform alot better than Thermochill and smaller too... Ill go look at the thread i made about single-pass heatercores and post it up here as soon as i find it

i find this hard to believe that a 20 doller chevette heater core can perform better then a 100 doller radiator optomized for a pc water cooling system.

heatercores are made by car manufactures in mass quanity, they make thousands of them. its very cheap for them to make them. online companies dont have the resources that car manufactures have, so they need to make them a lot more expensive.

This is a detail but dris, there's a problem with your tubing colors. The waterblock turns the cold water into warm water, and the radiator turns the warm water into cold water. So if you're going WB -> res -> rad -> WB then the res -> rad tubing is warm water.

Back