• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drawbacks with large heatercores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altima

I was wondering what the drawbacks are to using a large heater core?
Here's why. I am making a water cooling setup, and was thinking on how to mount it, and I have decided I am going to make a ~4-5" extension on the bottom (so it'll be 4-5" taller). I was think of getting a larger heater core (since it can cover quite a large area, the size of the bottom of my case, which is 7.625" x 16.5. I wouldn't get one that size, but I can fit a fairly large hc in there. What do you guys think?

I am going to keep the bottom of the extension open, and about 1/2" up for the air to go out of, and I am going to make some nice vents on top where the air comes in through. I have some ideas on how to make it look nice. I am also going to mount my pump in there I think.

Thanks... what do you think of this:
Its from a 96-00 Dodge Caravan (or p. voyager or c. t&c)
11.125 x 7.118 x 1.688
Fit it perfect with room left over for pump :)

EDIT: new list. The mercedes looks promising. I am trying to get 3 120mm fans over it.
96-00 Dodge Caravan
96-00 Chrysler Town&Country
96-00 Plymoth Voyager
'-------------------------------------->11.125x7.118x1.688 (? inlet/outlet)
89-94 Audi 100
" " 200
95-97 Audi V6
90-94 Audi V8
92-94 Audi S4
95-96 Audi S6
'-------------------------------------->10.75x6.125x2 (5/8 inlet/outlet)
84-93 Mercedes Benz 190
'-------------------------------------->11.813x6.188x1.625 (? inlet/outlet)

Last edited:
Sounds similar to what I'm working towards. I have a whole array of radiator mounting/orientation ideas floating around, and I can't decide what I like best. Most of them involve a "basement" being built onto the bottom of a small case to house the radiator and pump.

That's exavtly what I'm doing. I am also building a resevoir in it. As a bonus, if any of those components in the lower section get a leak, it won't touch the computer, just leak onto the desk. I was also thinking about submerging my pump, a huge radiator will definately help the heat.

Back