• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is WC really quieter? Is it for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

I'm considering water cooling for a few reasons

1) I'm bored and like to tinker with my computer
2) I want my system quieter...as quiet as it can be.

I am not planning to crazy overclock so that's not why i want water, I want silence. Will it really be quieter when you need fans to blow on the resovoir anyway? Currently my PSU is the loudest thing in my case...

Maybe I should just get a truepower or other quiet PSU?

Thanks guys

billstuck said:
I'm considering water cooling for a few reasons

1) I'm bored and like to tinker with my computer
2) I want my system quieter...as quiet as it can be.

I am not planning to crazy overclock so that's not why i want water, I want silence. Will it really be quieter when you need fans to blow on the resovoir anyway? Currently my PSU is the loudest thing in my case...

Maybe I should just get a truepower or other quiet PSU?

Thanks guys

You mean radiator?

If you have large enough radiator, you could go passive, but you'd need a pretty big one so I dunno. Watercooling won't make your psu any quiter unless you watercool your psu and eliminate the fan.

I'm sorry, I just have to laugh when people consider dumping their psu to buy a quieter one. If your cpu was too loud, would you buy a new cpu? No, you would buy a new fan :p

Buy a quieter fan for your psu :p

Some people don't want to tinker with the PSU. Thats death if you touch something your not supposed to.

Some of the capacitors in there can hold a fairly nasty charge for quite some time even after the unit is unplugged. It's pretty irresponsible to suggest that it's ok to monkey around inside one's PSU without any knowledge of the risks involved.

then leave it unplugged for a couple of days.
we used to shock each other in my comp. eng. class with capacitors, a few out of old psu too. Till we really burned one of my friends. then we stopp.ed

IMO replacing fans in the PSU is risky. That can easily over heat and even start a fire. Otherwise i'd just 7v mod them.

squeakygeek said:
that's exactly my point. PSU's don't make any noise either. Replace the fan if you want a quieter psu, just like you'd do if you wanted a quieter cpu.

why do they even need a fan... .i think it's just a gimmick.
or do you have fans on all your a/c adapters too? ;)

Some of the capacitors in there can hold a fairly nasty charge for quite some time even after the unit is unplugged. It's pretty irresponsible to suggest that it's ok to monkey around inside one's PSU without any knowledge of the risks involved.

then leave it unplugged for a couple of days.
we used to shock each other in my comp. eng. class with capacitors, a few out of old psu too. Till we really burned one of my friends. then we stopp.ed

After you unplug the psu, press the power button on the front of your computer. This will drain the caps. Otherwise, just keep your fingers away from the things that you don't have to touch!

IMO replacing fans in the PSU is risky. That can easily over heat and even start a fire. Otherwise i'd just 7v mod them.

What do you mean by that? If your worried about not having the airflow that you need... then buy a fan that has sufficient airflow but is still quiet...

How is 7v modding them any less "risky"?

Honestly you can go just as quiet or quieter with air. A silent psu, silent fans and any top performance heatsink with a silent fan will give you silence. but performance will be very limited. With water you can use a silent fan on the radiator and silent fans everywhere else and have good performance. There are tons of choices when going water, if you want portability or not, if not just watercool everythign and run your water into another room or even under your house;)

If you want portability then just use low cfm fans WITH a shroud(without the fan will make more noize because of extra restriction)

If thats all you want is silence and don't care about performance, your in the wrong section;)

But if your like me and like to mess with things, you found the place to be.

Do a little reading, a little searching and a lot of thinking. You should be able to figure out whats what. Then maybe run it by us and see what kind of input we have to give.

Btw, my sparkle has like a 40cfm 80mm fan in it, its the loudest thing in my system! thats next on the list to be watercooled;)

Jon

I have a Lambda PSU that puts out 720w (12v) with no fan on it ^_^. Regulated power too, none of this dirty switching crap =p.

vonkaar said:
I have a Lambda PSU that puts out 720w (12v) with no fan on it ^_^. Regulated power too, none of this dirty switching crap =p.

I bet that one would burn yer fingers! How much did it cost?

Even if the psu itself could get by without a fan, it's good for case airflow, but most computer psu's are designed for use with a fan, and are no gimmick.

Back