• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

homemade VGA block question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
I'm going to mill my own VGA block that covers the memory, and then has a wide channel that goes over to the GPU.

Should I make microchannels (1.5-3mm) over the GPU? This would dissipate heat faster, but would kill flow. Would I see a performance increase? (will vmod in the future) Would any increase outweigh the flow kill? I would use my 3 cpu barbs as a "Y", and run the gpu on one side, and the rest of the blocks on the other side.

If I didn't make channels, I could make the GPU channel wider, and have the heat spread through the base under the wider channel. Think this would work? How thick would the base have to be for this to be effective?

I really dont know if you would see a performance increase. I would go with 3mm channels over the gpu and just not make them too restrictive.

the base can be pretty thin if you want. 1/16"

but you have to remember, you have to mill the part that covers the core a little lower than the ram. the core is higher than the ram.

Jon

JFettig said:
I really dont know if you would see a performance increase. I would go with 3mm channels over the gpu and just not make them too restrictive.

the base can be pretty thin if you want. 1/16"

but you have to remember, you have to mill the part that covers the core a little lower than the ram. the core is higher than the ram.

Jon

So do you think I would see a performance increase by using 3mm channels over one single large channel?

I already have the difference in height figured out, but thanks for the reminder.

Back