• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some advice please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

My plan would be to cool everything possible with water, starting with the CPU and working my way out. I want to do it economically and sound is a 2ndary concern (not high on the list, but I dont want a sump pump). I am thinking something like this:

Chevette heater core w/ 120 push+pull and shroud
1/2" tubing with 1/8" walls
zinc plated worm-drive clamps 7/16" - 25/32"
Quiet One 1200 pump 6.1 head
Little River water block
Swiftech MCW50 GPU water block

How does this look? I have never water cooled before.

Last edited:
looks good, but i believe with that pump and cpu block u will be using half inch ID tubing right? If so i would opt for the DD maze4 gpu block, half inch fittings. The mcw50 uses 3/8 :D.

J.

juliendogg said:
looks good, but i believe with that pump and cpu block u will be using half inch ID tubing right? If so i would opt for the DD maze4 gpu block, half inch fittings. The mcw50 uses 3/8 :D.

J.

MCW50 comes with 1/2ID adapter. They will perform great wheter you get swifty OR Maze 4...

Nice setup BTW, I got stainless-steel metal clamps. 300 serires from mcmaster. Also, my size was something lik 23/24 to 1/2 i think... i might be wrong. Other than that it looks cool

How do I power this also? Do I have to mod a port for the plug or is there some way to get it to run off the PS. Im probalby out of the the league of the little Antec 350 that comes with the case.

Also someone please enlighten me about the head output. I have a 1st grad understanding of physics (poo rolls downhill), but wouldnt I want the 1/2" connections all the way around the unit to get maximum efficiency? Will 6.1 head push enough to be an awesome system? Anyone have any good budget alternatives for a pump with more head?

Last edited:
Most pumps tend to run off your mains electricity so you'll have a plug for that. You could get a relay card/switch if you wanted it to turn on/off when you switch your PC on/off.

Yep ideally you'll want 1/2" inch all around to minimise restrictions. I'm not familiar with that particular pump so can't answer that last bit :)

riviving a dead post here...

this is the current specs:

Chevette heater core w/ 120 push+pull and shroud
1/2" tubing with ??" walls
zinc plated worm-drive clamps 7/16" - 25/32"
Quiet One 1200 pump 6.1 head
Little River white water block
DD maze 4 gpu block

Anyone know anything about this pump?

Do I want 1/8 or 1/16 walls on the tubing?

Do the alum top white water last longer, or whats the advantage vs poly top?

Yeah, go with that aluminum top. Other than that...it all looks good. If I were you, I'd go ahead and buy, and start having fun. :)

BigSmokey said:
riviving a dead post here...

Anyone know anything about this pump?
Sorry no. :/

Do I want 1/8 or 1/16 walls on the tubing?[/B]
1/8 seems to be the standard to prevent kinking. If you have a system that dosen't require tight bends then 1/16 could be used. I've seen that 1/8 also stretches over larger barbs easier.

Do the alum top white water last longer, or whats the advantage vs poly top? [/B]
Each have their ups and downs. A Alum top is said to transfer heat a little better, however you have to worry about < ? > corrosion. (someone help me here, occurrs between two metals that have a noble difference when they are in a connected system.) Basically you need an anti-corrosion element in the water.
The poly tops allow you too see what's goin on inside the block. Check for clogs, show off your uv dye, etc. But they are not quite as strong as the metal ones, and can crack under excessive pressure.

Last edited:
Back